does the ford dealer have to use motorcraft oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few questions. I'm going from german castrol in my f150 to motorcraft 5w30 when the next oil change cycle comes.

Reason being I would just rather have someone else change it, and I still want a quality motor oil in there.

I've never had oil changed at a dealer, nor had a car serviced at a dealer, ever. My 98 f150 with 54k miles is in tip top shape, and it gets better care than most children.

Anyway, I just want someone else to change the oil especially during the winter when I don't have the patience to do it in the driveway in the snow.

So, are the ford dealers obliged to use only motorcraft oil, or can they use some generic pitt-penn sludge that comes out of a 50 gallon drum?

Also do they even carry a 5w30 oil anymore, seeing as they retro'ed alot of cars to 5w20?

The more I think about it, the more I just want to bring my own oil to my mechanic and let him do it.

But oil changes at the dealer are 18 bucks, and if it includes a motorcraft filter and motorcraft oil and a basic inspection, then thats a really good deal.

Justin

My local dealer uses Motorcraft in gas and diesel vehicles. Give the dealers in your area a call, as I believe they can use any brand of oil.

The dealer is in business to make money so they can and will use whatever bulk oil they can get for the lowest price. The dealer where I bought my wife's Windstar has a $19.95 special with bulk oil(probably 10w-30) but they also offer a $39.95 oil change with Ford spec 5w-20 bottled Motorcraft oil and filter plus a safety inspection.

I don't think they do. The motorcraft filter that they put on there looks different than the ones we get in the stores. I doubt they use Motorcraft oil too. But we don't care too much any more, the Windstar is gone.

When I got my 2002 F-150 3 years ago the Ford dealer was using bottled Motorcraft 5W-20 since most vehicles coming in for oil changes used 5W-30. The 5W-30 was bulk. Now since most Fords use 5W-20 that is now bulk and the 5W-30 is bottled. I'm going to have to do some snooping to make sure that the bulk 5W-20 is Motorcraft and not some other unknown cheapest oil
banghead.gif
. If you bring your own oil in they give you $.70/quart credit. So either they are getting the oil on the cheap or they are making extra money off you when you bring your own oil in
dunno.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
If you bring your own oil in they give you $.70/quart credit.

Must depend on the dealer-last time I took my oil oil to the dealer for an oil change, which was several years ago, they gave me a $2.50/quart credit on the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank D:
The Windstar is alive and well in my garage!

Well, its gone but it now with our uncle. My father didn't get the same enjoyment out of it as he did with our old 1989 Ford Aerostar. I have pics from an accident that I got into with it. My friend rearended me at about 35ish and the tailgate still opened and the taillights all worked. When i drove it, I didn't mind it because it had more get up and go than my Jeep (at the time). It earned the name, The Pimpstar.

Dealer can use what ever he wants. Varies by dealer.

The Manifest for my local Ford Dealers Bulk Oil Delivery says Conoco-Phillips at the top and says Motorcraft 5W-20 Bulk for product.

Motorcraft Filter is identical to the one you can buy at WalMart.

Local Dealer makes a huge deal out of them only using Motorcraft.

I believe my local dealer "lists" an oil change at $21.95 but always knock $2.00 off to $19.95 because they are always running a "special".

Gene

[ December 06, 2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

My Ford / Mazda dealer uses QS. Not my preferred oil. I would be happy with MC or M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back