XtraVision and Sylverstar....which is brighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the XtraVison bulbs from Sylvania brighter than their SilverStars(U.S.), which have a bluish tint (or is this a myth)??

Sylvania states(web): the blue tint helps to get whiter light; and a lot of people think it ROBS the brightness...and that
Xtravison + blue tint=less bright Xtravision, which is named SilverStar...
is this true?

Sylvania website says(FAQ) the US Xtra-vision is similar to EUR0PEAN Silverstars...isn't that the "better" Silverstar?

Has someone had both these types and compared these bulbs to see which one is brighter?

so:is Xtravison cheaper AND brighter than Silverstar?

Thanks.

[ November 20, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

Xtravisions are brighter. They both use the exact same bulb. Silverstars have a blue coating, Xtravisions do not. Obviously any kind of coating on the bulb blocks light, and thus, xtravisions are brighter.

all I can tell you is that we put silverstars in my mother's car. Improvement wasnt all that great considering the cost, and they failed quicker than other halogen bulbs.

I like a very slight bluish tint, nothing that looks bluish to the onlooker, the way that ricers like to have their lights set up. the bluish to me makes the illumination seem a bit more like daylight (perhaps a similar reason to why xenons look like daylight???)

JMH

I have the Silverstars in several vehicles (2003 Mustang Mach 1, 2003 Ford F-250 Superduty, 2001 Excursion that wife traded in 2 weeks ago for a 2005 Mustang GT) and I like them. None have failed, and the bulbs in the Excursion were about 4 years old.

silverstars look cool and appear to be brighter than typical headlights.. a very pure white. i cant say which bulb is brighter... but i have had to replace the silverstars many times on my sisters jetta..once or twice per year.. stupid daytime running lights
mad.gif

None of these bulbs are actually "brighter" than stock 3200K halogen bulbs. Check the wattage, all are going to be 45W or 55W for low beams. The only way to get a brighter bulb is to get a higher wattage bulb, which is illegal for on-road use.

All your 3800K and 4100K+ bulbs achieve their whiteness by filtering out the yellow spectrum of the light band, but the more you filter (the whiter the light), the less light output you get. They appear to be "brighter" because the light is whiter.

I don't know what the Xtra-vision bulbs are supposed to be, color temperature-wise. I think the 3800K bulbs are the best compromise between whiteness and light-on-the-road. I've used PIAA Superwhite bulbs for years, now. They are a 3800K bulb. I tried the PIAA Xtremewhite bulbs, which are 4100K. They certainly appear "whiter", but I definitely got more light output with the Superwhites.

You will really notice the difference on a dark, rainy night with no oncoming traffic for glare, and the roads glistening wet. This driving scenario is what made up my mind.

quote:

Originally posted by lyle:
None of these bulbs are actually "brighter" than stock 3200K halogen bulbs. Check the wattage, all are going to be 45W or 55W for low beams.

Yes, they are. The stock bulbs in my Cherokee are 55/35 watts. The Xtravisions are 65/55 watts. And yes, one 55 watt halogen bulb can put out more lumens than another.

After reading my post, I think the word "stock" was used in error. The better choice of words would have been "similar wattage". Of course I expect a 55W halogen to be brighter than a 35W halogen. Is your stock bulb a 9004? I believe the low beam wattage is 45W, but that's not a big deal. If you compare one 55W bulb to another 55W bulb filtered to the same color temperature, you will not see any appreciable difference.

Some bulbs of the same wattage have more lumens than others, this is because of the filtering of the source. Also, in automotive applications, quality of the reflector and lens has a lot to do with how much light gets to where you want it.

Experiment for yourself. Get a set of Xtravision and Silverstar bulbs and see for yourself. Ultimately, you only have yourself to satisfy.

quote:

Originally posted by lyle:
None of these bulbs are actually "brighter" than stock 3200K halogen bulbs. Check the wattage, all are going to be 45W or 55W for low beams. The only way to get a brighter bulb is to get a higher wattage bulb, which is illegal for on-road use.

More precise filament placement and a different gas mixture inside the bulb can make one clear non-coated 55w bulb brighter (in both lumens and lumenosity) than another clear non-coated 55w bulb. Coatings (except for HIR coatings, but this is really only reflecting IR light, not visible light. UV filters are to protect your plastic healight lenses) will reduce light output, because it is another medium that the light has to pass through.

When you say "...filtering of the source..," what do you mean by this? A clear 55w bulb should be compared to another clear 55w bulb.

List of bulbs ranked by UK Autoexpress The EURO Osram silverstars perform well. I have Philips Vision Plus (H1) bulbs and they are great bulbs. This place sells the best of the eurpoean H1 H4 H7 bulbs, thats if you can't find them in the US.

quote: Xtravisions claim they last twice as long...

Sorry, I got confused with the Siverstars (US). The Silverstars are known to burn out a lot faster than the non coated ones since the filaments are overdriven. The Xtravision's last as long if not longer than the regular bulbs. Better filament design/etc...

quote: So are you guys saying that the Xtra Vision bulbs are really brighter than S.Stars? Has anyone had them both to see that Xtra Vision is better? or do you guys THINK the Silverstars are less bright because they have the blue tint?

What you guys say about US/Euro SS is logical, though:
I checked Sylvania website, and in their FAQ section they say that the US Xtra-vision is more similar to EUROPEAN Silver Stars!

should get the XtraVision next time..
are they also cheaper than the S-stars?

"Brightness" is like "Loudness". It's a subjective perception. Is Metallica " louder " than Bach? Most people would say so. That's why audiologists use an objective measurement, Sound Pressure Level, rather than subjective quantities like "volume" and "loudness". And so it is in the science of light. "Bright" and "Dim" are subjective perceptions. Intensity, measured in any of several precisely-defined and scientific ways, is the only real way to gauge or compare output of a light source or performance of a lamp equipped with a light source. A 4-watt flashlight bulb dipped in the purple coating applied to these tinted headlamp bulbs would look "whiter", and might look "brighter", but would produce less light. And so it is with these headlamp bulbs.

The reason why the scam fools people into thinking their headlamps really work better has to do with the interaction of light that is tinted blue (to any degree) with the human eye. This kind of light has been shown in rigidly-controlled scientific studies to create almost 50% more glare than untinted light from a bulb with clear glass. But there's no 50% increase in seeing to go along with the extra glare; there's no increase in seeing at all, and in most cases there is a moderate reduction in actual seeing light. More glare, less seeing: Everybody loses.

The Xtravision blubs are cheaper than the Siverstars and can be found at Wal-mart for under $20 for the pair. I've had them both and the Xtravision's are far better for less money. Don't feel bad though, everyone gets tricked once in a while.

Some people feel that "whiter" light than is produced by a clear halogen bulb is better. Some people prefer the appearance of the headlamp, though its operating appearance with these legal "blue" bulbs differs very little from the appearance of a headlamp operating with a regular clear bulb. And then there are the True Believers, who ascribe all kinds of magical (and imaginary) benefits to "whiter" light.

Some companies (PIAA...) even capitalize on this by claiming that their "55W bulbs are as bright as 85W" bulbs, among other nonsensical claims. Here's how this claim works: Higher-wattage bulbs appear whiter than lower-wattage bulbs. Think of the time you replaced a 60W bulb in your home with a 100W bulb. So the idea with these "blue" filtered bulbs is to have a lower wattage bulb that produces a similar light color to a higher wattage bulb. However, there is no such a thing as "something for nothing". Light color similarity does not mean you're getting more light, or better quality light — just that the light is of a slightly different color.

In fact, you could be getting less light from such a bulb than from a regular clear bulb, and here's why: A blue filter removes nonblue components of the light passing through it. Halogen bulbs produce very little light in the blue frequency range. When you put a blue filter on the bulb or lamp, you are reducing the amount of usable light that gets from the glowing filament to the reflector, to the lens and from there to the road. Prove it to yourself using nothing more than the windshield in your car...drive towards a yellow-orange Sodium vapor street light and watch the light as it shines first through the clear portion of the windshield, then through the blue strip at the top. Up there through the blue, it certainly looks "whiter"...but it's also dimmer. If a bulb's sales material focuses on the color of the light rather than the amount of light, you should ask critical questions about the amount of light the bulb produces before choosing to use it.

The Osram-Sylvania Cool Blue (and its equivalents the Narva RangePower Blue, the Philips BlueVision, etc.) produce *LEGAL* light output. But there's some wiggle room in the bulb standards that permit two bulbs of the same format to put out significantly different amounts of light, and yet both still be legal.

For illustration of the principle, take a standard HB5 (9007) bulb, which is legally required to produce 1000 lumens of light from the 55W low beam filament, plus-or-minus 15 percent. That means that in order to be legally certifiable as conforming to FMVSS108, a 9007 bulb in the low beam mode must produce between 850 and 1150 lumens. Most folks want to see better at night, not worse, and the way to do that is to use bulbs that produce the maximum legal amount of light. I'd rather have my bulbs producing 1150 lumens instead of 850, how 'bout you?

So now, where do these legal "blue" bulbs fit on our 850 to 1150 lumen range? It's not possible to say without access to bulb-performance data usually considered proprietary by bulb manufacturers. About all that can be said is that they're safe, they're legal, they're not dangerously poor performers like illegal blue bulbs are, nor are they a scam like the much-hyped SuperWhite bulbs are ... but they do not give a performance increase as such.

The manufacturer optimizes the bulb's efficacy through filament and gas-fill technology, so that the uncoated bulb performs up near the top end of the allowable output range, or even slightly above the maximum allowable output. But the bulb is blue, which "steals" some of the light. If the bulb is designed to produce within the legal light level without the blue, the presence of the blue bulb will drop the output closer to the bottom end of the allowable output range. If the bulb is designed to produce slightly over the legal light level without the blue, then the bulb will perform nearer the middle or towards the top of the legal range. Here again, though, we can't have something for nothing. Not only are there legal limits on light output, but also on power input. These wattage restrictions prevent bulb manufacturers from simply ramping-up the bulb wattage in order to have a bulb that produces high-end output even with a blue filter. It took Osram-Sylvania, Philips, and other major-name bulb makers quite a bit of research and development to produce blue filters that would not drop the bulb output below the legal minimum while still altering the appearance of the operating headlamp enough to appeal to consumers after a "whiter" appearance to their headlamps.

Part of the impetus for the development of these bulbs was for the makers of good-quality bulbs to take away a portion of the dangerous "crystal blue" type bulb sales and offer consumers desiring a different headlamp appearance a legal and safe product. The retail-level marketers have an easy sell here; Pep Boys offers a "Cool Blue Upgrade" service for fifty bucks, for instance. And there are always going to be people lining up to offer glowing testimonials about how much better they think they can see with these bulbs. But can they really?

There's no conclusive evidence that the type of light produced by this sort of bulb actually allows drivers to see better than the type of light produced by a regular, clear bulb. And there've been no studies on the effect of this type of light upon seeing and glare in bad weather, for instance. Can you see better with this sort of bulb? Perhaps, and perhaps not. Some people seem to think so. But what if that's exactly the problem — they think they can see better than they actually can? There've been no studies to determine exactly how dangerous it is to think you can see better than you really can, but it can't be very safe.

It should be mentioned that while these are critical questions that ought to be asked, they are academic to some degree as long as you stick to the product of a reputable manufacturer, such as Osram-Sylvania, Philips, or Narva.

For those who want the best possible performance from their headlamps and are more concerned with their ability to see rather than the appearance of their headlamps, the major bulb companies offer optimized bulbs WITHOUT the light-stealing blue coloration. Sylvania Xtravision (in the pink-and-black package), Osram Super and SilverStar(outside North America only!); Philips High Visibility (North America), Premium and Vision Plus (outside North America); Narva RangePower are the ones to look for.

Osram, the well-established German lampmaker, sells a line of automotive bulbs they call "SilverStar". These are Osram's top-of-the-range headlamp bulbs, equivalent to Philips VisionPlus and Tungsram Megalight Premium. They produce the maximum legal amount of light while staying within legal power consumption limits. They have clear glass.

Osram bought the well-established American lampmaker Sylvania in the early 1990s, so Osram is now Sylvania's parent company. Sylvania also sells a line of automotive bulbs they call "SilverStar", but it's not the same product at all. These bulbs have a blue coating on them. Light output is of legal levels, but as with all blue-filtered bulbs, you do not get more light from them. The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs have a very short lifetime, because the filament is selected so as to be overdriven. This is necessary because the blue filtration coating "steals" so much light that only an overdriven filament can push enough light through the filter to be legal. The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs are also priced quite high. This is not because they cost a lot to make, and not because they're based on some exotic new technology. It's because the goal with this product is to take market share away from other overpriced bulbs like the PIAA line.

For best headlamp performance and best value, choose only bulbs with clear glass.

seotaji, "It's not possible to say without access to bulb-performance data usually considered proprietary by bulb manufacturers."

If they are DOT approved, then they should have technical/information sheets showing what lumens they put out and the such. For example here is a product information sheet for H4 Philips Blue Vision. Here's one for the H4 Allweather bulb they make. One for the premium +30% H4.

As for your rather short post (insert sarcasm here
wink.gif
) i agree with a lot of things you have to say. If you want the most light, clear bulbs.

I'm probably jinxing myself, but I have had the S-Stars in my Tacoma for two years with no problems.

I actually changed them from my 2002 to my 2004 with no problems. I'm always very careful not to touch the bulbs. I always take a piece of toilet paper and wear latex gloves when changing.

With my luck, they'll blow in the morning at 5 on my way to work.

seotaji

You make very good points. All these halogen headlamps depend on the coil design to determine, the lumen output, wattage, life etc.

One can change the light output, filament wattage and efficacy(lumens per watt) by changing the filament wire diameter, mandrel diameter(what the filament is wound on), TPI of the fillament etc. What people dont know is that watts is the power consumed and not the light output. Also whiter, higher color temperature has nothing to do with light output. Basically all the "Cool Blue lamps are simply flash cubes since the filaments are designed to increase LPW to compensate for the blue tint, I beleive life is only 30-40% of a regulare bulb. Extra vision also has a life penalty but at lest you get the higher LPW without the loss from the tint. All these aftermarket lamps are simply high mark up rip offs, but hey the Ricers out there love em. Makes their cars look cool
smile.gif
and replacement market is great since the lamp life sucks!

VNT

Good thread.
cheers.gif

After much reading and footwork I picked up from my local Wally Mart a set of Philips High Visibility.
I noticed the HVs were advertised on the pkg. as +30% Brighter while the same 9006 XtraVision were only +20%.
Truth in advertising?
dunno.gif

I didn't want a bulb with a short but brillant lifespan like SilverStars,so I double checked the product specs for the 9006 HVs.
The lifespan is around 890hrs. Good enuff for me.
Reading further for the same HVs, but in a H4 bulb, lifespan is only 250hrs!!
confused.gif

you won't notice the 10% of light output difference.

go with whichever one is more wallet friendly or if they are the same price, get the 30% one
smile.gif

I have the Silverstars, they are good. The best lights I had were Farenheit 9004NW. I had those in my Maxima and they were fantastic. One highbeam went out and I was going away on a trip so I had to replace em quick and couldnt order them so I went with the Silverstars.

Eric

did some web-research with help of the replies/links here:

Seems Phillips VisionPlus and High Visibility are the best in US, with VisionPlus being the best(50% more light) for night-time driving, which is what I need;
Has anyone seen Phillips VisionPlus bulbs here?
According to their Website, it should be available in US(?).
If not, Does anybody know where to order them? they come in US-types (I need the 9007's).

98AV6:
Where did you get the Philips High Visiblity bulbs?

Can't wait for the US-Silverstars to go out
mad.gif
so I can get the Philips HV or Syl-XtraVisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back