Hyundai Elantra Can Tow 3,086 Pounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as some of you know, I've always driven pickups. Really like 'em, but I also like "driving", and with that in mind, really like to be behind the wheel of a car unless the situation dictates the need for a pickup.

Well, in looking at lots of different cars out there, the main problem I have with them is tow capacity...see, I quite often have some small load behind whatever vehicle I'm driving, be it a lawnmower, wood, a jonboat, canoe, hay, etc, etc...nothing major (a small regular cab pickup could handle the weight), but a little much for what most cars are rated for.

Well, came upon this over at the Edmunds.com site today:

No, this is not a typo. The Elantra offers 3,086 pounds of towing capacity. That's not much by truck standards, but for a budget-priced compact sedan, it's exceptional. Note that this is 1,000 pounds more than full-size sedans like the Cadillac DeVille and Mercury Grand Marquis are rated to carry.

How cool is that! Something that is small, inexpensive, more versatile than a regular cab pickup, smoother riding as well, fun to drive, and economical, but it still rated to haul around some weight!

Granted, it's not made for hauling in comparison to a pickup, but that's still pretty darn respectable for a small car and gives me the ability to tow stuff around...tell you what though...think a small, compact car's gonna look "weird" towing a trailer with 2,500lbs. of wood?
grin.gif

That's quite a bit for that size of car!
Does it have any restrictions on towing (ie: miles per year). I've seen these printed in owner's manuals of some cars. A sure sign that, while you can tow, you're definitely going to shorten the life of your drivetrain.
shocked.gif

Is it possible that someone at Edmunds accidently put the GVWR number in for the tow rating? With front wheel drive, unibody construction and 130 hp, there doesn't seem like a whole lot of capacity for towing is left over.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/hyu...id=edmunds.n.prices.moreresearch.0.3.Hyundai*

Kind of hard to believe.
Copied from the above page.

Exterior
Length: 177.1 in. Width: 67.7 in.
Height: 56.1 in. Wheel Base: 102.7 in.
Curb Weight: 2698 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 39.6 in. Front Hip Room: 53 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 54.7 in. Rear Head Room: 38 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 53.5 in. Rear Hip Room: 55.6 in.
Front Leg Room: 43.2 in. Rear Leg Room: 35 in.
Luggage Capacity: 12.9 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Performance
Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 2 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 4 Horsepower: 135 hp
Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm Torque: 132 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4500 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 3086 lbs.
Drive Type: FWD Turning Circle: 32.5 ft.

Fuel
Fuel Tank Capacity: 14.5 gal.
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Automatic: : 24 mpg / 33 mpg
Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Automatic: 348 mi. / 478.5 mi.

why is it so hard to believe? there are plenty of trucks out there that are rated to tow more weight than the actual weight of the truck. why cant the same be true for a car?

3,000 lbs just seems too high considering that the Elantra FWD competition is in the 1,000 lbs range. The Elantra looks overloaded with 4 adults inside, much less towing 3,000 lbs. The Focus is rated for 1,000 lb and the Golf 900 lbs - heck, the most powerful Hyundai Santa Fe SUV is only rated for 2,300 lbs according to Edmunds. New Car Test Drive lists the towing capacity as 1212 pounds, which is more like what I would expect for a vehicle with the Elantra's configuration.

My brand new WRX is rated to tow 2000 lbs with a proper hitch, its a bit heavier car though but not sizewise.

quote:

Originally posted by darryld13:
heck, the most powerful Hyundai Santa Fe SUV is only rated for 2,300 lbs according to Edmunds.

Also has a 3.5L V6 which makes 190HP and only gets 21MPG highway (that's AWD however).

VS. the Ford Escape with a 3.0L V6 which makes 200HP and gets 25MPG highway (that's with FWD) and can tow 3500lbs.

It's amazing that AWD sucks down 4 highway MPG..

Edmunds' specs on the Hyundai Santa Fe look plain weird. The FWD 3.5 configuration is rated to tow 2800 lbs and gets 16/22 mpg city/highway. The AWD configuration is rated to tow 2300 lbs and gets 17/21, despite being AWD and 200 lbs heavier.

So with a 10% tongue weight that would be over 300lbs sitting behind the bumper of the Hyundai. I don't see a GVWR, but that's got to be getting close with driver.

Typo or not, it's a bad idea.

-T

The '05 Subaru Outback are rated to tow 3,000 lbs. I'd MUCH rather try it in one of these than an Elantra......

Dave

Just the other day there was an article in our localish NJ paper about a guy in a Honda Accord towing a modest size boat. While on Interstate 80 the boat started swaying and forced the car off the road and across the grass median into oncoming traffic. After slammining head on into some poor bast**d in a car he, his car and the controlling boat preceeded to slam head on again into a tractor trailer. No more car, boat, trailer or DRIVER! It's a very bad idea! Stick with towing using your truck. If you want to get a small car then just use it for passengers.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Clement:
On a similar note, I was thinking of towing a small boat (maybe 400lb) with my Hyundai Accent. In the US, the Accent does not have a towing rating (the dealership almost laughed when I asked them). In Australia, the 1.6L Accent is rated to tow 400Kg (880lb) with an unbraked trailer and 800Kg (1760lb) with a braked trailer. The car weighs about 2300lb.

Hyundai's web site also does not list a tow rating for the Elantra, leading me to believe there is no rating, in light of this new information. It is not either under the specifications on the marketing site or anywhere under the technical information site (which is very impressive, BTW, and includes a full service manual, TSB's, troubleshooting manuals, etc).

I would venture to say that Edmunds screwed up. I REALLY can't see a 4 cyl. unibody car pulling 3,000+ pounds. That has to be a GVWR or curb weight plus passengers.

Previously having been in the car industry I long ago came to the conclusion that Edmund's is absolutely, positively full of siht. They seem to screw a lot of things up.

I looked around and not a lot of places have towing info. Including Hyundais own website. Cars.com did have that info however and it showed 1,500 lbs. Who knows if that's correct either? But in a 2,700 lb car with 132 ft. lbs of torque, I'd say 1,500 towing lbs is on the higher side of what an automaker would be willing to certify.

Subaru is very clear on their website, all 4 cyl Outbacks, 2,700 lbs., all 6 cyl, 3,000. I think our 6 cyl sedan is the greates think since sliced bread, but then I'm a scoobie nerd anyway.

Dave

Whimsey,

Thank you for posting, but I believe that "situation" you mentioned can be directly attributed to the driver.

Sure, a big 'ol pickup would have given him a wider margin for error, but given proper weight distribution and a good driver, a lot can be done with a small vehicle.

The only thing I worried about in regards to the Hyundai is the rear bumper dragging the ground with 3,000lbs. in tow...

[ July 22, 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

On a similar note, I was thinking of towing a small boat (maybe 400lb) with my Hyundai Accent. In the US, the Accent does not have a towing rating (the dealership almost laughed when I asked them). In Australia, the 1.6L Accent is rated to tow 400Kg (880lb) with an unbraked trailer and 800Kg (1760lb) with a braked trailer. The car weighs about 2300lb.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
why is it so hard to believe? there are plenty of trucks out there that are rated to tow more weight than the actual weight of the truck. why cant the same be true for a car?

Because trucks aren't FWD, and 130hp. They also have a longer wheel base.

I would be willing to bet alot of money Edmunds is wrong. Even if they're not, towing 3000lbs with an economy car is just plain stupid. That's about the max I would be willing to tow with my CHEROKEE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back