Are all R134a refrigerant same quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
reason why I ask..I recharged a 96 pontiac sunfire and the air is cold, but not freezin cold. I used the cheap interdynamics stuff at walmart. The guage indicated that there was almost no refrigerant left, I charged the entire 19 oz can in there. capacity is 26 oz I believe. After recharge, level is on border of fully charged and needs charging. I checked autoparts store around and they sell the same interdynamics a/c recharge. any other brands anyone else recommends? do the OEM gm refrigerant stuff the dealer sells blows colder air?

[ May 13, 2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

I don't know for a fact, but I believe that refrigerant of different brands will be a bit different quality. However, I don't think that it would be a noticeable difference in everyday use for the driver. Wal-Mart sells OK stuff just as any other parts store, only cheaper. You might want to fill system completely, but don't put too much pressure or overfill it.

I think that the main reason you don't feel cold might be a clogged condenser and/or evaporator. You have to clean it time to time to make sure that it stays free of debris/bacteria. I think that evaporator needs some special cleaning procedure, tools, and fluids. In that case you'd better take it to mechanic unless you think you can do it by yourself.

Regards,

My opinion, FWIW, is that some cars just have better AC than others. My '00 Monte Carlo has OK AC, like my wife's Honda. I once rode in a Chevy Beretta, however, with RIDICULOUSLY cold AC. I had to re-position the vents just to keep from getting frostbite, literally. So basically, I think it has more to do with the design of the system than anything.

On the other hand, if you're a little low, I could see where it would reduce the cooling effect. Perhaps bringing the levels up would give some benefit, but I wouldn't expect much.

quote:

My '00 Monte Carlo has OK AC, like my wife's Honda. I once rode in a Chevy Beretta, however, with RIDICULOUSLY cold AC.

I believe the beretta used R-12 which would explain the increased performance of the A/C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back