Lube for a knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced my OLD trusty pocket knife with a Kershaw assisted open blade knife. Its new and works great, any ideas on lube for the pivot points. I'm a mechanic and have always used a drop of clean motor oil on other blades.

quote:

Originally posted by Superglide:
I just replaced my OLD trusty pocket knife with a Kershaw assisted open blade knife. Its new and works great, any ideas on lube for the pivot points. I'm a mechanic and have always used a drop of clean motor oil on other blades.

A drop of clean engine oil sounds as good as anything for a pocket knife. If in doubt, ask Kershaw.

I carry a "chive" myself. great knives. motor oil or atf should be fine. I've noticed a little grit and pocket lint will make the action slow slower, so less oil is better.
i only use that $400 a gallon stuff made by shell for ferraris. I find it makes the knife open .0002531 seconds faster. j/k

The last thing I want on a pocket knife is something that will attract lint and other pocket gunk. The primary quality I'm looking for is a protectant, i.e., something to inhibit corrosion and displace moisture. Lubrication is really secondary, and just about any lube will do in that regard since a knife's lubrication need is just not that demanding.

I prefer something like Eezox that dries and provides strong corrosion protection. There's also nothing wrong with other high-tech lubes like TW-25B, G-96, FP-10 or BreakFree CLP providing you wipe off as much excess as possible. With any liquid lube I'd put a drop on the pivot points / hinge pins, open and close a few times to distribute the lube, then blow out the excess with compressed air and wipe everything as dry as possible. I also wipe down the blade with a lube-moistened patch and then wipe dry. There should be enough lube remaining on the metal surfaces to provide corrosion protection and lubrication for the pivots for a long time.

Pricy but the best l ube on the planet (IMHO)

-

I prefer carbon steel / tool steel knives, and keep coming back to Eezox. On some new finds that are rusty with lazy blades I'll sometimes use 75W90 to work the blades and springs, but finish up with Eezox.

ilove the kershaws. i had one of thier folding hunters that i used for several yrs and gave to a good friend. he still uses it. i now own one of the sheath knifes with the rubber? kryton?
dunno.gif
handles. very nice, maintains an incredible edge, and most importantly, doesn't get slippery when skinning deer etc, when blood gets on the handle. got it from smokey mt kw's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back