Plans for a shooting bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know where I can get some plans for a sturdy shooting bench?Gives my father something to do this winter before he drives my mother nuts...they're both in their 70's.

Do you mean shooting bench or reloading bench?
This is a good reloading bench, a buddy of mine built one from these plans and I got a couple ideas from his to build mine.
As for a shooting bench, at home I use a picknick table made out of 2x8's.

For a reloading bench I modified an old office desk that I picked up for something $25. Screwed some particle board on top as it was smooth, but if I did it again I'd use plywood as it's lighter and stronger, and also added some bracing. The drawers are nice for holding all of the junk that you need and hoard for reloading. I've also used it as a general workbench in the garage.

No I am talking about a heavy,wooden shooting bench (not portable) that I can make then place at my local range ,with permission of course.I've been searching and there are plenty of portable jobs out there but not too many big,heavy shooting bench plans
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Greaser,

Do you think your dad could make those benches for other people and send the parts out for assembly by the shooter.

I too am looking for a good bench.

When we finally get a bench plan we like I'll let you know.Probably would cost too much in shipping to send heavy timber piececs around north america...but the plans are another matter.

Greaser,

Do you think your dad could make those benches for other people and send the parts out for assembly by the shooter.

I too am looking for a good bench.

This is almost exactly like the ones at my range, I think the top is a bit thicker on ours. They sit on a concrete slab and you provide your own seat, I use and highly recommend a Tama HT25 Drum Throne.
Also our tops are only 48" in length, not 84".

quote:

Originally posted by TurboLuver:
This is almost exactly like the ones at my range, I think the top is a bit thicker on ours. They sit on a concrete slab and you provide your own seat, I use and highly recommend a Tama HT25 Drum Throne.
Also our tops are only 48" in length, not 84".

Thanks but cement is a bit too much for me..looks like I'll be making my own plans from scratch
grin.gif

There is a guy at the rifle range who uses those stands for road works (you know, the board/signs wedged with the two legs on an angle ?)

He made up a three (6 if you count the feet of each leg) legged bench, that is so stable and rigid, it's not funny.

Then there's the guy on Shooters' Online who decked out the back of a Chevvy van as a shooting bench/reloading lab etc. That rig (had caravan screws each corner) was a very nice piece of kit.

Try to find a copy of "Do-It-Yourself Gunsmithing by Jim Carmichael. It has a bench in it that he says requires a tractor to move it. I use a 3 legged one with a dbl thick plywood top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back