Honda Type 2 coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
picked up a gallon of pre-diluted Honda coolant. the bottle says "Type 2" coolant. is there a Type 1? if so, what's the difference. right now the car has blue coolant in it. is Type 2 the right stuff?
thanks.

Type one was green, you have the right stuff.
Expensive stuff huh, lots of money to pay for distilled H2O.

I popped into the local Honda dealer, where they have opened up some sort of performance (rice) shop in the parts department. They wanted $16 for a gallon of Honda Type 2 premix. Ouch! They didn't even have concentrated antifreeze...

I called two local Honda dealerships today asking about concentrate. They don't make it and want $12 per gallon. I asked them how they get all the coolant out of the engine without using water and adding concentrate, and they told me they don't do that at all......simply drain the radiator and refill with pre-dilute.
You're going to have to run 2-3 gallons of this stuff through the system to get a "newer" mix.
What a gip. But I'll have to do it as I don't want crap in my Civic.

It is really hard to flush out your system with the pre mix... and get a 50/50 mix back in...
Should I boil some of the pre mix on the stove to get rid of some of the water???????

Your owner's manual should tell you the coolant system capacity. Just flush it with water as many times as you want, add half as much concentrate as the system holds, and top up with water. Way cheaper, even if you buy distilled water for the flush.

Call around to Honda motorcycle dealers in your area. There've been a few posts in the past that the gallon antifreeze jugs for bikes is the same as the Type II automotive formula, but packaged as concentrate. (Stands to reason - the liquid-cooled bike motors are aluminum, too...) $16.00 for what amounts to two quarts of antifreeze and 35 cents* worth of distilled water is outrageous in my opinion. Bad Honda - bad, Bad, BAD!

*A gallon if distilled water at WalMart is around 70 cents.

quote:

$16.00 for what amounts to two quarts of antifreeze and 35 cents* worth of distilled water

Ray,

Are you sure they don't just use city tap water when they make the pre-diluted Honda coolant ??
dunno.gif

For the price of the Honda coolant, why not just buy Zerex G-05 and a gallon of distilled water and mix it yourself.

I had not thought of that; Interesting notion. I wouldn't do it. It's not meant to boil in open air I would imagine. I'll just buy 3 gallons and drain/fill/run/drain/fill three times. Thanks, Honda.
thumbsdown.gif

I have called the local motorcycle dealership.......and they had never heard of it. I'm resigned to drain/fill/run/drain/fill 2 or 3 times the expensive way, just to get the magic Honda elixir fully changed in my Civic.

I've been running PEAK Global EL coolant in my Accord for awhile now with absolutely no problems.
I don't like Hondas "use only Honda brand this and that....." policy.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
...Are you sure they don't just use city tap water when they make the pre-diluted Honda coolant ??...

Most if not all the import brands advise using distilled or de-ionized water to dilute. Honda's definitely among them. It would be totally out of character for the company to use nothing more than filtered tap water into the mix for their pre-diluted coolant. Since the Japanese antifreeze formulations already are dosed with phosphate for additional corrosion and cavitation protection, throwing additional mineral content into the mix would only encourage unwanted mineral precipitate fallout in use, which in itself may answer the question why Honda Type 2 Coolant is only available as pre-mix - to assure that owners won't inadvertently dump tap water of unknown hardness into their cooling systems? (or worse, diluting with sodium-laden residential softened water)

[ April 22, 2006, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

ChrisW, I'm also inclined to ask why you think G 05 would be fine for 75k in my car. I don't know why or why not, just curious. Do you have experience using it in a Honda for that duration?

pbm, how many miles and what year Accord?

I looked at the Global Lifetime on Peak's website and it's an OAT coolant which I think is exactly what Type 2 is. My final question is how come Peak's is phosphate free if phosphates are indeed in Type 2 (is that correct as well?)
Thanks.

Chris: My Accord is an 01' w/ 4 cylinder with 51K miles. I've had PEAK in it since about 20K. PEAK is phosphate free because that's how PEAK made it.
Honda seems to think that a small amount of phosphate is good but PEAK apparently thinks its not needed. (GO 5 apparently uses a small amount of silicate which Honda doesn't like) It all comes down to "there is more than one way to skin a cat" and Honda wants you to use their way because they make more money that way.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
I called two local Honda dealerships today asking about concentrate. They don't make it and want $12 per gallon.

I called Manchester Honda in CT. They won't ship it, but they have Honda concentrate for $14 a gallon. Parts guy didn't know if it was Type I or II...

I think the PEAK will be my choice. If the freaking parts guy at a dealership has no idea I'm not going to take any chances, plus I don't want to purchase 3 gallons for a huge dilution replacement at $12 per.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back