Coolant options - '98 Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been reading here in preparation for a coolant change on my truck and have concluded that this is more complicated than the oil.

Here is the story, and my questions:
1 - The '98 Ranger calls for Dex-Cool in the manual and the most recent Ford table allows for a change to G-05 on '99 and later Rangers. What is different about my truck that it shouldn't use G-05?? Should I use Dex-Cool even though I am worried about it after reading this board?

2 - The current coolant appears to be a yellow/gold color. It was last serviced at a Ford dealer I believe. What coolant do you think is in there? Is this not the color for the Motorcraft G-05?

Once I decide on which formula to use I will tackle the issue of how to do this job. Thanks.

I would personally use the G-05. If not that than the non-DC extended life coolants, like the greenish Prestone or Supertech. Dex Cool is a last resort for me.

I dont believe any ford spec'd dexcool, dexcool is a GM licensed formula.

That being said, go with G 05, and get the ford/mopar/mercedes version if you want a dyed one, otherwise the clear-as-water zerex g 05 will do. I believe g 05 to be the most 'universal' coolant spec out there.

Ford did use Dexcool in two applications. The 99 and newer Cougar and ELECTRIC Rangers. The normal Rangers used old style conventional green coolant in 98.

Ford has specified that the new Gold (G05) can be used back to 99 unless it is a Mercury Villager or if it was originally equipped with Dexcool.

I would not be afraid of using G05 in your 98.

i converted a 94 ranger 4.0L to g-05. just make sure you get all the old coolant out and rinse it a few times with distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back