Cleaning plastic overflow tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old car had a plastic overflow tank. There was what looked to be oil in it, and no matter what I poured down into it and sloshed around, it wouldn't clean itself up. Can anyone make a suggestion as far as cleaning.

Soak overnite with ammonia from (supermarket) mixed with vinegar, Spray out next Day with high water pressure spray, Good Luck.....If that does not shift it pour in battery acid leave 4Mins repeat above. Wear Goggles & Gloves.

There's an easier, more effective way. Buy a packet of air-rifle BBs and dump 'em into the overflow bottle after you remove it. Pour in about an inch and a half of water and just slosh the water and BBs around until the crud is loosened into suspension in the slurry. Pour out into a large can and rinse the overflow bottle a time or two with distilled water - good as new and no ammonia fumes or sulfuric acid disposal (or acidic residue to contaminate the cooling system) to contend with. You can collect the BBs and re-use 'em next time. Fine gravel would work just as well.

BB's sounds like a good idea. Or you could get some bottle cleaners. They're the brush-on-a-wire designs. Basically, mechanical scouring with detergent should help.

Nice ideas, better than what my friends do. That oily stuff is sometimes the defoamer from the antifreeze from when air is in contact with the fluid at a low pressure when either a pressure cap or low fluid level has been around for awhile.

My friends basically swish a small amount of gas in the tank and it dissolves the stuff, but it has a nasty chemical reaction that produces alot of gassing and pressure as it deoxygenates the gas. Just thought I would share, I wouldn't recommend what they did to their cars but it sure cleaned it out quickly. If someone goes that route, I would recommend flushing the tank out with hot water for at least a few minutes.

Being plastic it is probably a stain, in which case the solvent method Asteriod mentioned would be the only one to work.

Since it's plastic, you must NOT use any solvents on it. Even excessive mechanical stress can weaken it. You won't be very happy when it cracks prematurely. It's embarrassing, but you may have to live with the stain.

Many solvents are quite safe on plastics, Tosh. Personally I would stay towards the weaker ones: isopropyl alcohol, mineral spirits, ammonia and would not use gasoline or carb cleaner.

Brake fluid is a darn good paint remover/solvent and quite weak. It is used to remove lacquer paint on plastic models, soaking for hours does no harm to the model's fine details.

If it is that bad, buy a replacement reservoir. I've ssen some fairly clean-able ones in junk yards.

I know!!!! I know!!!!! (Jumps up and down waving hands erratically over head)

How about the old trick used in restaurants to clean those glass coffee thingys???!!!

Dump ice and salt inside then shake and swirl and twirl and generally make the ice/salt mixture bounce around inside the container.

Can't think of any way the concoction could hurt the container. The abrasiveness is not enough to cause harm. Just might work!!!!!!

Gimme' a gold star if it does!!!!!

Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY good obbop! I like THAT idea even better than the BB method I've been using for 20 years. I'd leave out the salt though, since it acts to melt the ice. (You'd want the ice to last as long as possible for its physical scouring action.)

The salt acts as an abrasive and the ice lends weight to assist in the scouring effect.

The containers are made from polypropolene and are not much affected by any solvent I know of. I like the idea of ammonia or a mild solution of muratic acid say ~ 10%.

I use a bent car antenna with a piece of rag zip-tied to the bent end...some engine degreaser and after that dish soap..works good for me
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
The salt acts as an abrasive and the ice lends weight to assist in the scouring effect.

I understand your apparent but faulty reasoning. Salt WILL accelerate the melting of the ice. There's a reason rock salt is added to the ice-water slurry in an ice-cream maker - it's to lower the working temperature of the slurry to aid freezing the ice cream mix, not for its alleged "abrasiveness".

We are not making ice cream.

We are physically scouring a surface to remove contaminants.

For the length of time a human moves a container containing ice and salt the melting factor is of minor importance.

obbop I got the Idea of ice and salt from the restaurant industry as well. I have used it a few times and it is fairly effective.
I will not hesitate to use it again.

Could be that the colder temps with the ice and salt cause thermal stress om the deposits and have them to lose their bond with the glass.
Abrasiveness has little to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back