Prestone DEX Cool - Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I have reservations about using Prestone's DEX Cool in my 1998 Toyota Camry?
I have searched the forums, but have not come up with a definitive answer...if there is such a thing on this web site!
smile.gif

PMWalter: I use PEAK Global EL in an 01' Honda with no problems. I like it better than Dexcool because it doesn't use 2-EHA which is the ingredient in Dexcool which many people think causes gasket problems. 2-EHA is a plasticizer which softens gaskets I'm told. I don't like the Honda policy of requiring use of their OE products.

Prestone DEX-COOL* will be fine in a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda, regardless whether those OEMs approve or not**. 2-EHA is NOT a plasticizer. (Another urban legend promulgated by a poorly researched "trade" publication quoted by Zerex on their website and accepted as fact by forumners too lazy to bother researching the available online documentation. I DID bother several months ago.) 2-EHA is an organic acid that is used as a food preservative, corrosion inhibitor, in making pharmaceuticals, plastics, and, combined chemically with other substances, can also be used in MAKING plasticizers. In bulk, 2-EHA is routinely shipped in plastic containers. (Hydrogen, a component of water, can be used to make nuclear bombs, but no one seems to be unduly worried about their Aqua Fina exploding.) Other organic acids used as corrsion inhibitors, such as Sodium Benzoate (used as the organic acid technology corrosion inhibitor in G-05) can also be used in MAKING plasticizers. (
wink.gif
)

*If you buy the current yellow jug Prestone antifreeze/coolant that's labled as an extended life product, it differs from the GM approved & licensed Prestone DEX-COOL only in the color of the dye used (green) and priced correspondingly less since there's no licensing fee Prestone has to pass on to use the GM trademark, "DEX-COOL".

**However, if your rice burner is still under factory warranty, better stick to the grossly overpriced OEM juice to avoid possible warranty claim issues.

[ March 31, 2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Prestone DEX-COOL* will be fine in a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda, regardless whether those OEMs approve or not**.

Just make sure there are no leaks in the cooling system. I put Prestone DEX-COOL* in my '91 Prelude, along with a brand new (aftermarket) radiator cap and less than 2 yrs later had brown mud clogging up my radiator. Took 4 flushes to clean most of that crap out. Put in G-05 and 4 weeks later finally found out that the new cap I had installed was faulty, allowing air to be sucked in when the engine cooled down. I now have a new (Honda) cap on it, but I won't go back to Prestone.

Stick with the Toyota red coolant. You can get it for $9.95 with a coupon and you will not need to change it again until 24-36 months or 24000 miles. Just flush and refill with distilled and coolant and you will never have problems!

That's what I ended up doing. Except I have never seen a coupon for Toyota anything. I sucked it up and bought the red stuff at the dealership. Only $17.50/gallon! I can't help feeling that they were laughing at me when I left.

I realized later that previous coolant flushes were done improperly. I had used the 50/50 antifreeze after I flushed the vehicle without realizing that there was residual water left in the engine block. That of course dilutes the coolant even more. Worse yet, I used to use regular tap water.
pat.gif

Live and learn I guess.

That web site is for Auto Nation, the largest dealer group. Auto Nation owns many dealerships of probably all the auto makers.

I could not find a coolant coupon. If you did, it would probably not be recognized by most Toyota dealers. Probably only that one, or at best any Auto Nation Toyota dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back