Using Dexcool in a VW that spec's G-12 only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on another message board that this is permissible.
dunno.gif
Can any of you VW owners confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
I read on another message board that this is permissible. Can any of you VW owners confirm or deny this?

The pink G-12 coolant is what BASF calls Glysantin G-30. BASF, which is OEM to many European manufacturers, makes three related coolants:

G 30 - New generation of coolants for VW and Audi

G 33 - Approved by Peugeot, Citroen

G 34 - Approved by Opel/GM Europe, Saab (DexCool in the U.S.)

Chemically they're almost identical - they're nitrite-free, amine-free, phosphate-free, silicate-free, borate-free OAT coolants.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000161

So, the DexCool coolant is basically interchangeable with the G-12 coolant.

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher Jefferson:
what about the new formulas that say for all makes and models even Euro models?

If you're referring to the recent Prestone and ST chemistry available since early summer, both are one and the same and virtually identical with Prestone's own DEX-COOL except for:
1> dyed green instead of orange
2> not claimed as DEX-COOL on the jugs, but contain the same corrosion inhibitors as Prestone's DEX-COOL.

wait a sec....ive got the Super Tech long life global coolant stuff and its amber coloured and not green. the prestone is yellow also.

so, the VW stuff is not HOAT? is it okay to use a HOAT instead of OAT? too confusing.

Chris J, yes, you can use G 05 (HOAT) in a G 12 (OAT) system. In many ways I feel G 05 is much better than OAT in resisting cavitation; I feel that HOAT is a better overall technology than OAT.

Just be sure to flush it thoroughly, although switching from OAT>HOAT doesn't require as much flushing as switching from conventional(silicated)>HOAT/OAT.

HOAT is Hybrid Organic Acid Technology
OAT is Organic Acid Technology.

HOAT has very low levels of silicate, and usually uses sodium benzoate for its corrosion inhibitor.

OAT is like HOAT except there are no silicates at all, and, it usually uses either sodium 2-EHA or potassium 2-EHA as its corrosion inhibitor.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Dumb question:

What do OAT & HOAT mean?

OAT - Organic Acid Technology

HOAT - Hybrid Organic Acid Technology

OAT coolants more or less create a film in the cooling system that insulates the metal from the water. That ends rust of ferric metals and corrosion of other metals as long as the film is intact.

HOAT uses the same technology and adds some silicate and perhaps some phosphate or nitrite.

The problem with the OAT is that bubbles or a low coolant level basically wipes out the film. So in a properly designed system that's topped off when needed it lasts for a long time. But if you let it get low, or in certain designs that exhibit a lot of cavitation, it's like not having corrosion protection at all.

The other problem is that the 2-EHA in an OAT is a solvent, and some manufacturers (Honda for example) believe it will harm engine gaskets.

The HOAT uses a bit of silicate, and in the case of the G 05 some nitrite. Silicate works when the coolant system gets low or cavitates. The nitrite protects wet sleeved engines (usually large diesels) from cavitation damage.

I've used DexCool in Honda and VWs of my own with no problems at all. In fact I'm quite impressed with its performance.

However, I recently bought a couple of gallons of G 05 for my wife's Toyota, which comes with an OAT from the factory, because I think it's get a better margin of error than the DexCool in case of something going awry in the cooling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back