Use peak 50/50 instead of dexcool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am changing my water pump on my 97 z28 camaro tomorrow. I flushed the coolant out before with dexcool and it got contaminated this time so i am gonna toss it.

At the store, i noticed the dexcool was very expensive (11$/gal) and the guy at the store recommended peak 50/50 for every make and year coolant.

I know it is premixed but it was a lot cheaper. I was wondering if i should use this? I heard you only need to use dexcool to honor your warranty which is long gone now.

Prestone says:
quote:

The new Prestone® 50/50 Prediluted All Makes All Models Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant formula should only be used to top off the cooling system. For a flush and fill, motorists should use the full concentrate formula offered by the brand to ensure the right mix of water and antifreeze concentrate

Prestone Web Page

Well, i already bought the stuff and 50/50 seems about right for me, it's what i used previously. I don't know if it matters but it was peak and not prestone. My previous coolant was prestone dexcool.

I was wondering if this would be efficient enough for my system. I believe i have this one http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime_5050.html but its in a blue bottle and says for all makes and years.

[ December 09, 2004, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: phenomic ]

Prediluted means it's 50% concentrate and 50% de-ionized water. Since the cost for that predilution is about 80% of the cost of a gallon of pure concentrate (regardless of brand), that is VERY dear water you're paying for! You can get a GALLON of distilled water at WalMart for less than 60 cents. Do the math - it isn't rocket science to mix your own and save some dinero. You can also get a gallon of WalMart's own extended life antifreeze concentrate* for a good deal less than $11.00, too. Once diluted, you'd have TWO gallons of working solution.

*The stuff's good enough for the aluminum V6 engine in my Sonata - three months and no heating problems, gunk, or color change (which is more than I could say for the crap Hyundai put in at the factory!). Except for the color (green) it's identical to the Prestone orange "DEX-COOL" formula minus the GM licensed "DEX-COOL" name.

Yes it will work just fine. And as it was said, juts buy the full flaver Peak long life and mix the water yourself to save soem money.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it, i should have my new pump in tomorrow and and get everything running again. If my opti isn't dead, im gonna be one happy person.

Ray H, I just noticed that the Peak Global LifeTime "gold bottle" now states it is non 2-EHA; does this suggest it is similar to G 05 chemistry? Non 2-EHA also suggests to me that it is not a dexcool formulation of either sodium or potassium.

Peak has a G 05 specific coolant now (unless I just didn't notice it before), the one in the silver bottle...but I know they do not sell this around me, it would make it eaier to use because its dyed versus Zerex which is clear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back