Zerex G-05 vs. G-48

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I searched for G-48 but didnt come up with much. Can anyone tell me the difference between G-05 and G-48 zerex antifreeze fluids?

I have a 91 BMW 318i, and the current concensus is that G-48 blue is the stuff to use, as its designed for the aluminum they use in the blocks and heads of the engines. Some people use G-05 because it is readily available and a few bucks cheaper.

I am curious if there is much of a difference between the two.

Thanks,

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
Try this link, both specifications are available. Personally I prefer the G-48 (OEM BMW fluid) to both the G-30 (OEM VW G-12) and G-05 (OEM Mercedes, Chrysler, Ford).

https://www.valvoline-technology.com/data/VALV/ValvExtSecurity.nsf/fsZerex?OpenFrameSet

The G-30 is basically the same as DexCool.

The G-05 has more reserve alkalinity than the G-48 and has replaced G-48 as factory fill for Mercedes. They both originate with BASF in Germany in the Glysantin line:

http://www.basf.de/en/produkte/chemikalien/spezial/glysantin/productrange/?id=G0qgQ5i2wbsf1i6

The G-48 is nitrite-free, which means unlike G-05 it can’t be used with wet sleeves. G-05 has a smidgeon more silicate than G-48.

And its availability in North America is thin, indeed. Valvoline suggests using G-05 to replace it.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
FYI, G-48 is available from SAAB dealers as "SAAB Blue coolant."

I wonder what it was used in... My brands new 9-3 has orange stuff. Different shade than the dex-cool in my chevy, and apparently more orange than the '05' stuff.

Nobody seems to know what it is exactly.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
FYI, G-48 is available from SAAB dealers as "SAAB Blue coolant."

I wonder what it was used in... My brands new 9-3 has orange stuff. Different shade than the dex-cool in my chevy, and apparently more orange than the '05' stuff.

Nobody seems to know what it is exactly.

JMH

Isn't sabb owned by GM? So it'd make sense that they'd use a dexcool formulation (there are several companies that make dexcool coolants).

The only other orange coolant I can think of is Ford/Motorcraft G 05 and Chrysler G 05. If GM/Sabb switched to G 05, this is news to me.

How new is the stuff in your chevy? May be that the difference in color is due to coolant wear/contaminents. And what do you mean by the "'05" stuff?

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:

Isn't sabb owned by GM? So it'd make sense that they'd use a dexcool formulation (there are several companies that make dexcool coolants).

The only other orange coolant I can think of is Ford/Motorcraft G 05 and Chrysler G 05. If GM/Sabb switched to G 05, this is news to me.

How new is the stuff in your chevy? May be that the difference in color is due to coolant wear/contaminents. And what do you mean by the "'05" stuff?
[/QUOTE]

Saab is owned by GM, but they do things their own way in a lot or areas, fluids just being one of them. The dex in my chevy is about 4 months old, replaced by the dealer. Ive done it myself a few times too, they definitely look different. The saab orange is a bit more fluoroescent or something. It has a brighter orange coloration. That may be because of the tablets that chevy puts into all of their cars to ensure that down the line people dont have a leak sprung in their radiators (chevy owners arent going to take care of their cars the way saab owners will). That may darken the dexcool color a bit or something. But it still doesnt seem to match with the dexcool Ive put in.

As you said though, different manufacturers make dexcool, and maybe this is another manufacturer (european?) abd they dyed it slightly different?

By the 05 stuff, I meant G 05.

Thanks,

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back