Recent Topics
5w-20 PP Walmart & Amazon $12
by jayjr1105 - 04/03/20 02:28 PM
Chicken Marsala Recipe Help
by 97prizm - 04/03/20 02:02 PM
Oil Filter Removal
by Kansas_Ron - 04/03/20 01:24 PM
Pressure regulator made in USA
by rainman49 - 04/03/20 01:08 PM
mitsubishi outlander
by ernied - 04/03/20 12:43 PM
WM - Pennzoil Platinum $18.68
by The Critic - 04/03/20 12:13 PM
Going from a PAO to a Ester base MT oil
by Bill_W - 04/03/20 11:54 AM
Spring Cleaning
by Mad_Hatter - 04/03/20 11:40 AM
Starting Over - 2013 Prius
by Greg L - 04/03/20 11:15 AM
Glue for dovetail joints
by spasm3 - 04/03/20 11:08 AM
In my face "wake up" call
by Kira - 04/03/20 10:58 AM
repairing old stereo equipment
by Donald - 04/03/20 10:44 AM
Valvoline Syn. Grease 14oz tube
by zfasts03 - 04/03/20 10:39 AM
WIX XP oil filter leaking....
by dkryan - 04/03/20 10:36 AM
K&N PS 1017 VIRGIN FILTER CUT OPEN
by 53' Stude - 04/03/20 09:56 AM
Got bored so I fired up the smoker
by BeerCan - 04/03/20 09:43 AM
VIRGIN M1-209A CUT OPEN
by 53' Stude - 04/03/20 09:39 AM
Roasts: what kind do you folks buy?
by 53' Stude - 04/03/20 09:12 AM
Newest Members
TJim, Andreeas1978, lawmanracing14, ebarker, Knop
71082 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
117 registered members (53' Stude, alchargo, Alfred_B, 007, 97prizm, 11 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics303,526
Posts5,236,951
Members71,082
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Zerex G-05 vs. G-48 #613531 10/07/04 04:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 43,725
J
JHZR2 Offline OP
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
J
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 43,725
Hi,

I searched for G-48 but didnt come up with much. Can anyone tell me the difference between G-05 and G-48 zerex antifreeze fluids?

I have a 91 BMW 318i, and the current concensus is that G-48 blue is the stuff to use, as its designed for the aluminum they use in the blocks and heads of the engines. Some people use G-05 because it is readily available and a few bucks cheaper.

I am curious if there is much of a difference between the two.

Thanks,

JMH

Re: Zerex G-05 vs. G-48 #613532 10/07/04 05:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,857
FowVay Offline
Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,857
Try this link, both specifications are available. Personally I prefer the G-48 (OEM BMW fluid) to both the G-30 (OEM VW G-12) and G-05 (OEM Mercedes, Chrysler, Ford).

https://www.valvoline-technology.com/data/VALV/ValvExtSecurity.nsf/fsZerex?OpenFrameSet

Re: Zerex G-05 vs. G-48 #613533 10/08/04 04:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,001
M
Mickey_M Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,001
quote:
Originally posted by FowVay:
Try this link, both specifications are available. Personally I prefer the G-48 (OEM BMW fluid) to both the G-30 (OEM VW G-12) and G-05 (OEM Mercedes, Chrysler, Ford).

https://www.valvoline-technology.com/data/VALV/ValvExtSecurity.nsf/fsZerex?OpenFrameSet

The G-30 is basically the same as DexCool.

The G-05 has more reserve alkalinity than the G-48 and has replaced G-48 as factory fill for Mercedes. They both originate with BASF in Germany in the Glysantin line:

http://www.basf.de/en/produkte/chemikalien/spezial/glysantin/productrange/?id=G0qgQ5i2wbsf1i6

The G-48 is nitrite-free, which means unlike G-05 it canít be used with wet sleeves. G-05 has a smidgeon more silicate than G-48.

And its availability in North America is thin, indeed. Valvoline suggests using G-05 to replace it.

Re: Zerex G-05 vs. G-48 #613534 11/19/04 03:11 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 481
V
vvk Offline
Offline
V
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 481
FYI, G-48 is available from SAAB dealers as "SAAB Blue coolant."

Re: Zerex G-05 vs. G-48 #613535 11/19/04 05:28 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 270
N
nel Offline
Offline
N
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 270
Also, try these links for more information:

BASF Product Range

BASF Product Approvals

I noticed that the Mercedes and MTU specs that G-05 passes are identical to those for G-48

Re: Zerex G-05 vs. G-48 #613536 11/19/04 07:09 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 43,725
J
JHZR2 Offline OP
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
J
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 43,725
quote:
Originally posted by vvk:
FYI, G-48 is available from SAAB dealers as "SAAB Blue coolant."

I wonder what it was used in... My brands new 9-3 has orange stuff. Different shade than the dex-cool in my chevy, and apparently more orange than the '05' stuff.

Nobody seems to know what it is exactly.

JMH

Re: Zerex G-05 vs. G-48 #613537 11/19/04 11:11 AM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 943
C
ChrisW Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 943
quote:
Originally posted by JHZR2:
quote:
Originally posted by vvk:
FYI, G-48 is available from SAAB dealers as "SAAB Blue coolant."

I wonder what it was used in... My brands new 9-3 has orange stuff. Different shade than the dex-cool in my chevy, and apparently more orange than the '05' stuff.

Nobody seems to know what it is exactly.

JMH

Isn't sabb owned by GM? So it'd make sense that they'd use a dexcool formulation (there are several companies that make dexcool coolants).

The only other orange coolant I can think of is Ford/Motorcraft G 05 and Chrysler G 05. If GM/Sabb switched to G 05, this is news to me.

How new is the stuff in your chevy? May be that the difference in color is due to coolant wear/contaminents. And what do you mean by the "'05" stuff?

Re: Zerex G-05 vs. G-48 #613538 11/19/04 07:10 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 43,725
J
JHZR2 Offline OP
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
J
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 43,725
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW:

Isn't sabb owned by GM? So it'd make sense that they'd use a dexcool formulation (there are several companies that make dexcool coolants).

The only other orange coolant I can think of is Ford/Motorcraft G 05 and Chrysler G 05. If GM/Sabb switched to G 05, this is news to me.

How new is the stuff in your chevy? May be that the difference in color is due to coolant wear/contaminents. And what do you mean by the "'05" stuff?
[/QUOTE]

Saab is owned by GM, but they do things their own way in a lot or areas, fluids just being one of them. The dex in my chevy is about 4 months old, replaced by the dealer. Ive done it myself a few times too, they definitely look different. The saab orange is a bit more fluoroescent or something. It has a brighter orange coloration. That may be because of the tablets that chevy puts into all of their cars to ensure that down the line people dont have a leak sprung in their radiators (chevy owners arent going to take care of their cars the way saab owners will). That may darken the dexcool color a bit or something. But it still doesnt seem to match with the dexcool Ive put in.

As you said though, different manufacturers make dexcool, and maybe this is another manufacturer (european?) abd they dyed it slightly different?

By the 05 stuff, I meant G 05.

Thanks,

JMH

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™