New Honda Coolant Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if you guys have heard this yet...

The coolant change plan for the new Honda Van I got last year:

Drain / fill radiator (approx 50% of the coolant) at 120,000 miles or 10 years, then every 60K or 5 years after that!
gr_eek2.gif

I think that's GREAT if the stuff will actually hold up that long.

Makes me wonder if the "5 year" part of the requirement for the Dexcool/Prestone/Peak/other long life coolants is very conservative...if a company like Honda is OK with twice the time period but fewer miles (120K vice 150K).

Specially in light of Honda's recent snafus, I would urge a coolant change at least every 4 years. And in my book, even that is pushing it. The coolant's anti-corrosion properties wear off much sooner than manufacturers like to admit.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
Drain / fill radiator (approx 50% of the coolant) at 120,000 miles or 10 years, then every 60K or 5 years after that!

I think that's GREAT if the stuff will actually hold up that long.

I stopped over to the Honda website to look at the maintainence schedule and had some trouble confirming a 120k / 10 yr interval.

For example, the Honda schedule states that you should:

"Annually"

"Inspect the all fluid levels and condition of fluids"

In other words, if the coolant is failing, you replace it no matter what the mileage or time.

They then state that:

"Canadian Owners - Follow the maintenance schedule for severe conditions"

In describing their anti-freeze they say:

"Honda Genuine Antifreeze/Coolant"

"Most other coolants contain borates and/or silicates which can act as abrasives in your Honda's cooling system. Honda Genuine Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 features extended protection for up to 5 years or 60,000 miles - making it the only recommended coolant for your Honda."

Acura's schedule was a bit clearer:

"192k/120 mths then every 96k/60 mths Replace engine coolant"

using the Honda coolant.

The Honda coolant is the same no-silicate no-borate single OAT coolant Toyota and Nissan uses, and it looks like Honda recommends comparable service intervals.

I can tell you the owner's manual is very clear. 120K miles or 10 years...60K/5 years after that.

FWIW with aluminum you could never tell if the coolant was failing visually.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
I can tell you the owner's manual is very clear. 120K miles or 10 years...60K/5 years after that.

FWIW with aluminum you could never tell if the coolant was failing visually.

Both the Acura and Honda on-line schedules recommend checking coolant condition annually.

Even conventional green coolant might last 10 years if properly maintained (top off with distilled water and coolant mix, test and replenish inhibitors).

The Honda coolant is nothing special in terms of its chemisty.

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:
Even conventional green coolant might last 10 years if properly maintained (top off with distilled water and coolant mix, test and replenish inhibitors).

The Honda coolant is nothing special in terms of its chemisty.

Prestone's old MSDS for conventional hydrated silicate-containing antifreeze states only 2-year storage stability for a virgin, sealed jug. Silicates are difficult to stabilize even under ideal storage conditions, though while active, they supply almost immediate metal protection in use. The problems that may develop with silicates after two years - falling out of solution as hard precipitates and/or gelling into a mucoid-like glop in the lower radiator tank are what drove the development of alternate corrosion inhibitor technology. For their new reformulated "OAT" antifreezes, the company states sealed container storage stability of at least 8 years. "OAT" corrosion inhibitors can take several thousand miles to achieve full effectiveness. The Japanese have adopted "OAT" corrosion inhibitors along with a stiff phosphate charge to provide immediate aluminum protection. In that regard, Honda and the other Japanese manufacturers do provide something special in their chemistry. Unfortunately for the Japanese, their innovative chemistry may eventually fall to government fiat. Phosphates are environmentally persistant and the EPA wants them elliminated from consumer products to as large an extent as possible. European manufacturers took a different route as evidenced by G-05: NO phosphates, but silicates in reduced concentration along with organic acid corrosion inhibitors - the "hybrid" approach. Think of this as low enough silicate concentration to avoid or minimize precipitating and gelling for extended drain intervals, but sufficient to offer protection while the organic acid corrosion inhibitors ramp up to full effectiveness. As for Toyota's conservative change interval compared to Honda's? Perhaps it's just a difference in corporate psychology. Toyota may be more mindful of the typical modern American driver's auto servicing mindset: don't bother until it breaks, and if it's orange, go ahead and screw it on. In my opinion, Toyota's just trying to cover its corporate butt with very specific cooling system maintenance intervals. I have a great deal of respect for Honda's engineering and quality. But assuming the typical American driver will check the level and appearance of his engine's coolant even once a year may be a stretch the company will eventually regret. The quickie lube places and stealership service departments? Yeah, right... (They say they do, but,
rolleyes.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back