Cooling system cleaners - which work best??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a JD diesel tractor that's had the factory coolant left in for 9 yrs. (it's also had very little use over that timeframe)

There are no problems with the cooling system but I'm planning to do a flush and refill.

Should I chemically clean the system?

If so, which cleaners work best. I see that the common cleaners are either:

1. Prestone Heavy Duty - Oxalyic acid with a seperate neutralizer
2. Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner - Sodium Citrate is the active ingrediant
3. Prestone Fast Flush - Looks like TSP is the primary active ingrediant

Which would you choose and why?

i used phosphoric acid as the cleaner and baking soda as the neutralizer when i flushed my rad. the acid is the main ingredient in most "calcium lime and rust" removers sold. anyways, oxalyic acid is similar to phosphoric and sence i had good results, i would use that.

Is it really important for the flushing water to be distilled or just that you end up with primarily distilled water mixed with the final coolant mix? (ie do the cleaners clean better with distilled water?)

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
I have a JD diesel tractor that's had the factory coolant left in for 9 yrs. (it's also had very little use over that timeframe)

There are no problems with the cooling system but I'm planning to do a flush and refill.

I've personally used the Prestone cleaner (NOT flush) several times and am very happy with it. Very inexpensive, widely available, and works very well.

Just finished up a cleaning cycle in my pickup the other day.

First, flush all coolant out of system.

Fill system will distilled water and cleaner.

If you have an enclosed cab/heater on the JD, make sure to have it on when filling it up.

Run the distilled water and cleaner mix for about six hours.

After six hours, flush all distilled water/cleaner mix out with distilled water again.

Empty distilled water out of system and fill up with antifreeze.

BTW, you can you tap water if you want, but I strongly recommend distilled water for maximum system performance, cleanliness, and long-life.

Jelly,

Neo makes a radiator cleaner. Have you used this or heard anything about how it does? From Neo's website: "A highly alkaline product that is designed to clean your engines cooling system quickly and safely."

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:

I've personally used the Prestone cleaner (NOT flush) several times and am very happy with it. Very inexpensive, widely available, and works very well.

Just finished up a cleaning cycle in my pickup the other day.

First, flush all coolant out of system.

Fill system will distilled water and cleaner.

If you have an enclosed cab/heater on the JD, make sure to have it on when filling it up.

Run the distilled water and cleaner mix for about six hours.

After six hours, flush all distilled water/cleaner mix out with distilled water again.

Empty distilled water out of system and fill up with antifreeze.

BTW, you can you tap water if you want, but I strongly recommend distilled water for maximum system performance, cleanliness, and long-life.

[ April 20, 2004, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Thanks.

I plan to use Zerex G-05 AF. The data sheet claims it's fully approved by John Deere.

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:
I would lean towards the heavy duty stuff because of the 9 yr. lapse.

I have always used good tap water to flush my JD tractors, but do the final rinse or two with distilled water. Remember, about half of the liquid remains in the block when you drain the radiator. Check for a block drain plug for better draining.

Most important: do not use plain auto antifreeze in a diesal engine. Use a diesal specified coolant only with SCA. Silicate antifreeze (Prestone)can result in cylinder liner cavitation. The JD brand is fine or you can get one at TSC. Plain Zerex is ASTM D4985 rated for diesal use, but you have to add the SCA seperately.

Good luck.

Is it approved for JD diesal engines? If so, that's good to know. JD makes a lot of lawn care equipment with gasoline engines also.

I learned about SCA coolants in my father-in-law's trucking magazines. I learned about cavitation induced engine rebuilds from two fellow JD owners who used generic auto store fluid$$$$$$$$.

Have fun with your JD toy -they rock!

I would lean towards the heavy duty stuff because of the 9 yr. lapse.

I have always used good tap water to flush my JD tractors, but do the final rinse or two with distilled water. Remember, about half of the liquid remains in the block when you drain the radiator. Check for a block drain plug for better draining.

Most important: do not use plain auto antifreeze in a diesal engine. Use a diesal specified coolant only with SCA. Silicate antifreeze (Prestone)can result in cylinder liner cavitation. The JD brand is fine or you can get one at TSC. Plain Zerex is ASTM D4985 rated for diesal use, but you have to add the SCA seperately.

Good luck.

[ April 21, 2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: doitmyself ]

is rad. cleaner necessary?

if the cooling system has been maintained, will i see all sorts of junk come out?

According to my JD manual, "you should always flush the cooling system with a chemical cleaner that's safe for use with aluminum".

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
is rad. cleaner necessary?

if the cooling system has been maintained, will i see all sorts of junk come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back