Motorguard install options for a 7317 filtered car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at installing a bypass on my car because well, $37 for oil and $10 for a filter is not my cup of tea here. OTOH, TP is cheap here. Here is my question. I run the standard Import filter, it’s a 7317 that is on Hondas, Hyundais, and my bike. I want to piece a kit together that requires no vehicle modification, or as little as possible. One, because I don’t have the equipment, and two, I want to be able to remove it and be able to put all of it on another vehicle.

My question is, can I use a perma-cool/insert sandwich adapter manufacturer name here two port sandwich adapter, and just run hose to and from it?

I am asking because Ralph mentions it here

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000405

It would make it easier for me to use on this car, and I would take the kit home, and install it on my next car, a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. It would be good to be removable then if I ever had to take it in for warranty reasons.

1) I am NOT an expert on such matters-- stil llearning...

2) that's my plan
wink.gif

Shaman,

Buy the proper Pemacool sandwich adapter for you application.

Run hoses to a standard MG30

Change TP every 3k-4k miles

If you experience a loss in oil pressure, drill a VERY SMALL HOLE - REPEAT- A VERY SMALL HOLE (1/32 - 1/16 maybe) in the permacool adapter (rarely needed).

Be happy.

Thanks Gary. Please help me understand one more time. A sandwich adapter sandwiches between the filter and the filter mount, still allowing the FF to work, correctly? All I need to worry about is a place to put the the bypass filter, and how much room there is on the FF mount. Happen to know the external dimensions on the Mg-30. I PMed Ralph a few days ago and haven’t gotten anything back.

Yeah, I got that part figured out. I need to figure out where in the engine bay it is going to go, and how much I will be spending on this project.

where would you drill the hole?

anywhere in the "wall" of the permacool. Right next the poppet relief ..180 out of it. To the left ..to the right
wink.gif

A sandwich adapter sandwiches between the filter and the filter mount, still allowing the FF to work, correctly?

Yes, it creates a 2psi differential to compell flow through the MG30. That, apparently, is the breaking pressure of the poppet relief that seperates the "out" port from the "in" port.

All I need to worry about is a place to put the the bypass filter, and how much room there is on the FF mount. Happen to know the external dimensions on the Mg-30. I PMed Ralph a few days ago and haven’t gotten anything back.

Don't limit yourself to a sheet metal fastened location. Any "space" will do ..as long as it's away from rotating parts and exhaust manifolds. Some zip tie it to the master cylinder ..anywhere really. It's not like it has a lot of options on where to go ..nor does it need rigid fastening.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
where would you drill the hole?

anywhere in the "wall" of the permacool. Right next the poppet relief ..180 out of it. To the left ..to the right
wink.gif

A sandwich adapter sandwiches between the filter and the filter mount, still allowing the FF to work, correctly?

Yes, it creates a 2psi differential to compell flow through the MG30. That, apparently, is the breaking pressure of the poppet relief that seperates the "out" port from the "in" port.

All I need to worry about is a place to put the the bypass filter, and how much room there is on the FF mount. Happen to know the external dimensions on the Mg-30. I PMed Ralph a few days ago and haven’t gotten anything back.

Don't limit yourself to a sheet metal fastened location. Any "space" will do ..as long as it's away from rotating parts and exhaust manifolds. Some zip tie it to the master cylinder ..anywhere really. It's not like it has a lot of options on where to go ..nor does it need rigid fastening.

This beast has a 2L v-6 the size of a 5.0, and not much room. I will have to look into alternate places to stick it. Just make sure that it is above oil level and I can take the TP out without too much of a mess right?

Just make sure that it is above oil level and I can take the TP out without too much of a mess right?

Zip tie with slack in the lines. Snip z-ties - lift - place pan under - swap tp- reassemble - wipe/spray down - rezip.

Ralph has had some health issues in the past. I don't know how he's doing currently. Typically his wife actually does the posting with Ralph dictating.

I don't know the old pricing on the MG30. The unmodifiedd unit appears to be the same price in McMaster Carr.
dunno.gif

Depending on what sandwich you need ..it's either $20 or $25 from Jeg's ..no shipping $$.

The price is now more competitive with the current offerings in a Frantz setup. Still appears cheaper.

First off- hope Ralph's coming along nicely with his recovery. I know he's ill, but seeing him pop in now and again [referring to his UID, anyway], I would think it would not take a moment to answer an email- especially when said email will bring income.]

I'm unaware of the modifications you refer to. What do they entail? I thought the motorguard was created as a vehicle oil filter-- but going to motorguard.com leads me to believe it was designed as a compressed air filter. Granted, pressure is pressure and all-- but still, I'm curious
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by burntkat:
Did the price go up on these? If so that's a bit of a hard sell- raising prices and no answers to email inquiring about buying.
dunno.gif

I thought that the last time I looked they were selling for $100, but I might be wrong.

Might have to find out where he lives and ride my bike out there. Save $15.

quote:

Did the price go up on these? If so that's a bit of a hard sell- raising prices and no answers to email inquiring about buying.
dunno.gif

Yep, went up to $130. That and no repsonse to my emails did it for me. $130 buys a $13 oil filter mount and over 30 Purolator spin-on bypass filters so that's what I went with. I'll save the TP for more important uses.

PS: Trying to make a quick profit on that gear pump are we?
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by chenobylite:
[qb] Did the price go up on these? If so that's a bit of a hard sell- raising prices and no answers to email inquiring about buying.
dunno.gif
Yep, went up to $130. That and no repsonse to my emails did it for me. $130 buys a $13 oil filter mount and over 30 Purolator spin-on bypass filters so that's what I went with. I'll save the TP for more important uses.

There must have been a problem with my email because a couple of days I didn't get but a few and that is very unusual.
I have always answered all of my emails. Please let me know what it is you want to know about. If it is about the raise in the price to $120.00. Lately we haven't been getting back the money we have been putting in to converting the compressed air Motor Guards to lube oil Motor Guards MG-30s and the shipping costs. So we can't keep footing the cost of the lube Motor Guards.
All of you who have bought the Motor Guard filters know how much money they have saved you. Much, much more then the cost of the filter, right? The customer saves a lot more then I make in profit. A lot more.
To correct a remark made above the price is $120.00

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by chenobylite:

quote:

dunno.gif

PS: Trying to make a quick profit on that gear pump are we?
wink.gif

I'm right there behind you with the Puro spinon jobbies, then Where'd you find a $13 spin-on mount, BTW?

What are you talking about regarding the gear pump, BTW?

quote:

Originally posted by RalphPWood:
To correct a remark made above the price is $120.00

Ralph
burnout.gif

Not trying to sharpshoot you, Ralph-- but your site specifically says $130 for the MG-30. Is there a discount I am unaware of? Also, what is required to convert the filter from compressed air to oil duty? I'm thinking maybe a rigid metal center structure to prevent collapse of the roll?

I understand your business decision-- it just makes sense, after all. However, I had the "unfortunate" luck to get a raise last month. Turns out I am bringing home less money each month [it's the whole "kicked me just barely into the next tax bracket" trick.
rolleyes.gif
]- so with a $400/mo fuel bill and a bit less income, I have to optimize, so I'll have to go with the Purolator filters. I understand they don't go submicronic-- but honestly, if they'll do 5 micron, that's good enough for me, for now.

On a note unrelated to business-- my best wishes for a speedy recovery, sir.

[ October 27, 2005, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: burntkat ]

Well, the website does say $130 so I'm confused. Mc Master is selling the same rig (for compressed air) for something like $80. I know Ralph changes some parts to copper although I'm not sure I understand why. Could make them of out delrin, UHMW polypro, or any number of other materials and they should work as well or better. $50 for a few small parts that can be churned out in quanity seems a bit high. And whats up with him charging sales tax for out of state buyers?

Summit has $13 or $14 mounts. Cast AL but they work fine.

The pump crack was another screw up on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back