AutoRX with bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've been running a bypass filter why would you Want to run AutoRX? I would think the bypass filter would make the engine cleaner than any one dose of a chemical without the wear & tear.

quote:

Originally posted by mjo:
If you've been running a bypass filter why would you Want to run AutoRX? I would think the bypass filter would make the engine cleaner than any one dose of a chemical without the wear & tear.

I have had my oilguard bypass on my Cummins N14 for close to 500,000 miles. I did an AutoRx treatment on this engine early this year and there was a noticeable thick layer of sludge on the filter cartridge on both the clean and rinse phases. All my other previous changes had very little sludge. So, that tells me that Auto-RX will clean better than a bypass filter alone.

Hammer

I have always depended on submicronic filtration to clean the oil and the oil to clean the engine. It can't hurt to add something to the oil to help clean the rings. I would think for the Auto RX it would be important to have a submicronic filter with economical elements. To me that means TP. It is not common for the Frantz or Motor Guard to clog. It was common back in the 60s when engines were very dirty. All we could do is either tear down the engine and clean it or change the TP often until all the sludge that the oil could remove was removed by the TP.
Adding a cleaner to the oil without a ver good bypass filter makes no sense. A full flow filter can't handle it. If the byass filter cost more to service than an oil change that's not too good.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back