Will TP filter out ethanol in the gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the TP is not that great in filtering out water; but, how about ethanol in gas? Can the TP at least absorb some of it?

Given that the ethanol is completely mixed in with the gasoline, no filter will be able to remove it. They do manufacture water separators, but those work because water will not mix with gasoline. The only way to avoid it is not to buy it, if that's even an option.

No, because ethanol and methanol is an active hydrocarbon that diffuses into other fuels and hydrocarbons.

TP is very effective at removing water from fuel and lubricants. I have an M-30 Motor Guard on a big air compressor on a Shell Oil offshore rig that was purchased because TP is so good at removing water and the M-30 is so easy to service. The mechanic has to change the filter every day. The stock filters cost a fortune but can't clean oil or remove water. The humidity in the air is what causes the problem. I have filters on boats for the same reason. I have a Motor Guard M-30 in Dallas on a much bigger compressor than the Shell Oil that gets changed every 500 hrs. Water isn't a problem in the Dallas one. All it has to deal with is abrasives too small to be removed by the stock filters. the stock filters are micro glass and can't remove water. The Shell engineer told me they have used the Frantz. It's not the filter housing that does the work it's the TP. The Dallas people are snobs. They won't use TP in a million dollar piece of equipment. They remove the plastic core from the Motor Guard M-723 element and use it. The head engineer said it won't hurt them to spend 6 bucks every 500 hrs.
Motor Guard is the best of the small filters. For large jobs the major oil companies use a lot of the big paper towel filters for removing water such as the Gulf Coast F-1 and F-2. For the really big jobs they use like 24 in a row. Sometimes they put the big Gulf Coast filters down stream of the centrifuges to finish removing the water.
Who the heck told you that toilet paper is not that great at removing water? A dealer for one of the junk filter makers? One maker of filters that has a channeling problem tells about TP filters having a channeling problem. You have to consider the source.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Ralph - You did. In one of your messages of another thread you said TP had channeling problem and not good for filtering out water. The OilGuard web site also makes the same claim.

Filters, as such, remove solids from fluids. Other fluids are free to pass through the pores. Often ''filters'' incorporate other elements to remove other things. My home water is hardly fit to drink without the filter elements that also have activated charcoal to remove the hydrocarbons and sulfur compounds.

Water might bond itself to the cellulose fibers in TP, but also tends to destroy it. I would rather use some sort of a mechanical separator if there was very much water.

They always said gasoline and alcohol don't mix, but the truth is once mixed, they are very difficult to separate.

A roll of TP is very effective at removing water from lube oil or fuel but dont get carried away. My Ford diesel truck gets fueled up at truck stops. The little TP filter will keep the fuel clean and dry for at least 10,000 miles with no cracks in the TP that can let contaminants channel. My Toyota can probalby go 200,000 miles. Im not going to pour water in the fuel tank or engine to make the paper channel. A roll of TP can remove about 6 ounces of water after the roll is saturated with fuel or lube oil. If you are dealing with a marine vessel with a lot of algae and a few inches of water in the bottom of the tank you need a filter that is designed for that. Then you can use the TP filter to finish cleaning and drying the fuel. I got about a qt of water in my diesel once. I had a Frantz three stacker which saved my stock filter. I was towed to a convenience store where I got three rolls of TP and a bottle of HEET. The lesson is to always carry extra filters and watch where you fuel up.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back