LIQUID WRENCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw them on a e-shop in Greece, even though I lived for several years in the States I cant recall this brand, is it any good?
Company name is GUNK, they claim to have 4-5 diff lubricating and penetrating oils.

Gunk is a good old name. The got started with degreasing/cleaning solutions.

The Liquid Wrench I'm familiar with in the US is a penetrating oil made to help loosen rusted threaded parts. It's good old stuff, probably not the best.

The LR I used was the stuff in the yellow can
http://www.gunk.com/lubricants.asp

quote:

Originally posted by Praticoman:
found this on there site.
http://www.gunk.com/webassets/word_documents/L412_COMPETITION.doc

Be aware that that page is for their "L4" product only. L4 appears to be their top of line product. It has good specs, but if Break Free beats it for EP, then I'll pass. The 600 hour corrosion test is the spec that is most appealing to me. Have no idea how good a penetrant it is. I'm not a real big fan of solid lubricants either which is what "Cerflon" is. The low volatile content is nice though (it stays on the metal, rather than evaporates into the air).

According to the MSDS for the normal, "yellow can" product, it is mostly kerosene. Not a good lubricant, and I'd bet that WD40 would work about the same.

I'm going to stick with Corrosion X products for penetrating oils.

Edited for spelling...
blush.gif

[ September 06, 2006, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Tempest ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

According to the MSDS for the normal, "yellow can" product, it is mostly kerosene. Not a good lubricant, and I'd bet that WD40 would work about the same.

I'm going to stick with Corrosion X products for perpetrating oils.

Tempest, the yellow stuff looks like the Liquid Wrench that has been around since before dirt was invented. 40+ years. It's a better desticker than WD-40 but not in the same class with the better high end stuff on the market now.

Thanks for the first hand input XS650. To be honest, I haven't used WD40 in many years as I found it to be near worthless for just about everything. It too has a volatile content of >%60, much like yellow can LW.

If HAD to grab a "common brand" OTC lube, the L4 would be promising.

You are right, the L4 looks to be there top product, I also liked what I saw on there L3 product, the one with PTFE, **** you can use it as a fire extinguisher!!!
lol.gif

For the money is good stuff

I took the front axle out of a 78 Jeep J-10 from the salt country, using only LW. I let some fastners sit for a week, squirting them everyday and beating them with a hammer...Didn't have a torch then!

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back