Taking oil stain off of blacktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas? I dropped my old filter while taking it off during an oil change yesterday and of course it missed my drain pan and the drip sheet
rolleyes.gif

Kid next door tried some brake cleaner(we didn't have a scrub brush at the time) and tried using a bunch of the blue shop towels...no good...went out and got a brush and tried Simple Green...nada..cleaned the driveway nice in that spot though but left the stain...in fact it stands out more now!

About to try to grind some Kitty Litter in the spot and see if that works but is it too late for litter?

What have you guys used on blacktop, not concrete and had it work?

Goose
patriot.gif

I recently tried Pour 'n Restore, it comes in a white bottle with a squeeze top.

Worked pretty darn well at lifting the oil out of the blacktop!

I got mine at Meijer's, a grocery store, but I don't know who else carries it.

I usually spray the driveway with full strength simple green. The acid rain takes care of the rest.

Simplegreen is also biodegradable and doesn't require you to do any real work. Spray and forget. Let the rain do the work!

Sheeeesh!!!!!!!!!

Same old "inside the box" thinking.

Everybody, their brother and sister, assorted distant kin, neighbors, passers-by and society as a whole thinks about attacking the one stained spot.

Expand your horizons!!!! be unique, creative.... follow a different path while listening to the proverbial different drummer.......

Figure out a way to make the unstained part match the stained part!!!!!!

Perhaps, every time you change oil or do anything that will result in spillage, do the deed in an unstained spot. Over time you will have a consistent coloration across the expanse and will never fret about another spill again.

So simple. So Zen-like. Thou art welcome.

quote:

Originally posted by drewjp:
I recently tried Pour 'n Restore, it comes in a white bottle with a squeeze top.

Worked pretty darn well at lifting the oil out of the blacktop!

I got mine at Meijer's, a grocery store, but I don't know who else carries it.

Just so you know, you aren't supposed to use pour and restore on blacktop
nono.gif

excerpt from Pour and Restore page:
If Pour-N-Restore is used to remove stains on asphalt it will dissolve the surface layer and expose the aggregate. Therefore, we do not recommend it for stain removal on asphalt.

But I am glad it worked for you.

I use Pour and Restore too, it's a great product for concrete. If you have used other products on the concrete it may take a 2 passes with the pour and restore as it will spend most of its time on the first pass removing the simple green, et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back