Remington Rem Oil w/ Teflon for general use

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is in the sporting goods dep't in Wal Mart among other places, < $5 for a 10 oz can, sold for guns, but posted it here because it works so well as a substitute for WD40 when you want something that will lubricate afterwards. I've used it for a while but haven't seen much here about this product. Says on the label "cleaning lubricating, corrosion-protecting fine firearms... Made for all outdoors and marine equipment". I know it sure quieted the squeaks and noises in my overhead garage door.

[ February 04, 2005, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: tblazed ]

I use it on all sorts of things where I need a thin lubricant. One thing I like is how well it works when it's cold. It doesn't seem to thicken up like most other light oils I've tried...

[ February 17, 2005, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

If it does any good at all, it isn't because of the teflon unless the carrier (if oil, it usually doesn't) completely volatilizes and goes away. Teflon only works when not coated with oil (or anything else for that matter.

An update- after 6 weeks my overhead gargage door hinges and hardware are still moving with no squeaks. Haven't ever had it stay quiet this long using other spray oils, so my theory is, the Teflon stays put between the load bearing, moving surfaces where the oil itself gets squeezed out. I think the Teflon does do some good. Passes my garage door test anyway, and that's why I bought it- wanted a longer lasting spray oil for that purpose. Good stuff.

I use the Rem plus similar gun oils like Breakfree CLP for a number of uses like oiling the lugnuts/stem on a car wheel before installing the tire .....
.... my two driveway gates that constantly squeak with stuff like WD-40.....
..... my car door locks and hinges too.

What about the teflon lube spray you can get at a bike shop for bike chains. Has anyone tried that?

Just bought a 10 ounce can of Remington oil w/teflon at Walamrt for $4.99 on the recommendation of you guys..
The 4 ounce can is $3.59.
confused.gif

Spreayed the garage door hinged and rollers.
House and car locks too.

10 ounce can of Remington oil w/teflon at Walmart for $4.99 The 4 ounce can is $3.59.

I noticed that too... seems the packaging-can costs more than the oil inside.
Still no squeaks in my overhead door since Feb, my first post about this.

I am glad someone found a use for remoil. It is 100% useless as a firearms lubricant/protectant.

It is actually the only lube I have ever used that failed at its intended purpose.

How did it fail, vicmackey? I am interested because I use it on my entire gun collection. Do you have better results with something else I should maybe try? I definitly won't use a cheap oil due to slug and dust attraction.

I have used remoil several times and have found that it burns off the slide rails of automatic handguns after as few as 30 rounds. As a protectant I have found it to be sub standard as well.

If you are easy on your guns and store them in a climate/moisture controlled area I am sure it would work fine.

I have used just about every gun oil on the market and they ALL seem to work well. Some are better than others but none of them have ever let me down except the remoil.

Breakfree CLP (Cleans,Lubes,Protects) would be my recommendation for a all purpose product on firearms. It is cheap and can be found anywhere.

I have also used many non-gun products like ATF, motor oil, silicone spray, automotive grease, car wax, and kerosene for various firearms chores. They all work just fine in my experience.

In short Breakfree CLP is by far and away the most tested gun maintence product ever invented because it has been used by the military for about 30 years. It works very good and it can be found at wally world or any sporting goods store. It will not let you down. http://www.break-free.com/

On the firearms related forums I belong to this topic usually starts a huge war.

Sounds like I am tossing the Remlube! I did notice that it is very thin and seems to evaporate quickly. I never considered the protection (or lack of) while using the firearms and that is a good point. I will use what the military does since many of my arms are military weapons. Thanks, I will get some Breakfree this week.

On some ads for lubricants where bench tests are used for comparison RemOil doesn't place high. In the military CLP has held up better than other products, but I did run across an article on experiences that the Marines had in Iraq, and it was popular to add some ATF to CLP.

I'm about to try Prolix

http://www.prolixlubricant.com/

I'll let everyone know how it works.

I agree that Rem Oil is not that good of a product. I've used a few cans when I could find nothing else on the shelf.

Break Free has always been standard issue and works great. I notice that they do now have a Citrus based cleaner which is what Prolix has gone towards.

Teflon oil is fine on the exterior surfaces of a firearm. It is not good to oil a barrel with. Teflon, and the combination of the explosion and combustion that goes on inside a firearm doesn't make a good mix.

A top gunsmith warned me against the use. Traces are left in the bore and on shooting teflon will turn to an acid which is used for etching glass, it can damage the bore and might be poisonous or a carcinogen!

His advise was Mobil 1 0W-20, or ATF.

frank1

The claim that PTFE (Teflon) in gun oils turns in to hydrofluoric acid upon firing has been discussed and debunked in several threads on various gun boards -- at least to my satisfaction. Do searches at The High Road, The Firing Line, etc. The bottom line seems to be that in theory a few molecules of hydrogen fluoride gas could form, but it wouldn't form an acid unless you add water, and even then the quantities would be negligible.

I have used Remoil for years for all sorts of things, including firearms. A little goes a long way. The Teflon stays put long after the oil has gone away and continues to lubricate. Especially good for locks and hinges. I have even used it to lubricate delicate electronics like tape decks with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back