DIY penetrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was using PBBlaster the other day and noticed that it had the odor of mothballs to some extent....or naphthalene.

My guess is take some good light oil base like ATF (synth best?)...add maybe 5% naphthalene (naptha?) and 5% actetone...you have a good penetrant?

The volatile aromatics get into tight places....carrying the lube oil with them?

Has anyone made thier own and gotten good results?

Molakule has, in his Dyson Analysis Report on LubeControl and Fuel Power, posted at their Website:

" 4.1 Penetrating oil. I mixed by volume, 70% Lube Control and 30% synthetic Dexron III ATF to produce an optically pleasant and very effective penetrating oil. I applied this mixture to muffler and tail pipe clamps. Rust and corrosion products immediately dripped with the solution and once the nuts were removed, the threads of the bolts were like new. The remaining oil tenaciously clung to the assembly to protect it from rust. "

Something that I've used for quite a while and seems to work really well is Turpentine with a bit of motor oil or tranny fluid added. I arrived at this when I was trying to clean the chain and bar on a chain saw and found that not only did a protective coating of oil remain on the surface, but it penetrated and cleaned the inside of the links on the chain. So I keep a small amount hand in a a pump oil can, and even use some of my used motor oil as the lubricant in the mixture. I found that a ratio of about 4 parts turpentine to one part oil seems perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back