LC as a general purpose lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to devise a methood of using LC as a general purpose lubricant. The VNT vacum actuator on my turbocharger gets corroded from moisture and therefore sticks when this builds up and lubrication decreases. I normally treat this with some white lithium grease every 10k miles or so but, I've been thinking that LC and either some gear oil or a heavy motor oil would be a good combo to use for this.

I know there's the penetrating oil instructions involving ATF, but I'm thinking that something a bit heavier might be better in this case.

Any advice?

--Matt

A white lithium grease is quite a different animal from any mixture of lube oils/LC.

Id say to make sure that you really clean up the surfaces, and get all the remnants of the white lithium out of there. Then, maybe put in a straight 40 weight oil?

I just read on another post that LC is ~20 weight oil. So keep that in mind when speccing what you want to do... Mixing with ATF I believe ought to get you somewhere like 10w-20, mixing with straight 40 weight would just be the average of the quantities of each base, approximately.

Maybe a little ester-based synthetic oil, applied when the metal is hot would be a good bet?

I dont know if additive packages ofoils make any difference in protection in a case like this, butit would be interesting to know...

JMH

I'd take a look at CorrosionX, it will stop all rust even in the presence of moisture. It is amazing against rust. Not sure how hot that area you are talking about is though

it is on the turbo, I suppose it could potentially be 1000 degrees or so...

--Matt

I can't speak to the turbo problem, but I love LC when mixed with ATF as a penetrant/general purpose.

If the vehicle sits up any time at all, it would be worthwhile to use LC to bring the corrosion level of the problem area down, IMO. If it doesn't help, then nothing lost. (But I imagine it will help to clean up and make area ready for proper lubricant).

I'd look into aviation products for high temp lubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back