Best oil for tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not air tools, but general purpose lube for rust prevention, lubrication etc of ahnd tools, ratchets, etc.

These tools will see harsh use in and very, very dusty and sandy enviornment, sometimes exposed to moisture,a nd often used where they will get dirty or wet but cannot be cleaned for a few days afterword.

I have been using Mobil-1 spray and it seems to work well, but once it is gone any suggestions?

CorrosionX or G96 gun oil works exceptionally well for me to protect my tools. If you are looking for all out protection, I’d go with CorrosionX.

Boeshield T9 seems to have a pretty good following. I bought a can to use on the insides of my bike frames, but I've never used it on my tools. I think it would hold up well in your conditions.

A lot of machinists use products with lanolin, & I have a couple of tubes of Lano Lube that I've used on a few things, but it's a pretty thick grease. I've seen a spray-on tool coat with lanolin, but I can't recall the name. I also came across this article, & it mentions how to make your own coating fluid:
"You can make your own rust protection coating by mixing 1 part Anhydrous Lanolin with 5 parts Paint Thinner. Just brush it on or dip the metal in it. You can get Anhydrous Lanolin from a pharmacy by special order. Dillon Case Lube is a commercial rust protection made from Lanolin and Alcohol. Many people have reported excellent results with Lanolin and Lanolin-based rust protection products."

Thnaks guys, I will try these. Not attracting or holding dust and dirt is a huge thing, these tools won't see a clean enviornment for 12-18 months.

Schaeffer's Penetro90 #190 has 3 different rust and corrosion inhibitors in it, albeit oil based. Our Moly Roller chain lube #227 dries up and has moly that is negatively charged as is dirt. This could very well be the ticket. www.schaefferoil.com Read up.

For whatever it's worth, I have found that "Tri-Flow" or previously "Tri-flon" does not seem to attract dirt much.

For just corrosion protection I really like the S-100 Corrosion Protectant, you can find it at motorcycle shops and the big mail-order bike product dealers like Chapparal in CA.

HTH.
grin.gif

Lanotec is a lanolin based rust preventative. It comes in a couple of grades as well. Been using it on some of my tools recently and seems to work well.

The one I use is food grade as I use a clipper to cut grass for some small animals (guinea pgs). I didn't like the idea of petroluem based products being fed to these aniimals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back