Brake fluid as penetrating liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard today that brake fluid is supposed to work real well when it comes to breaking rusted fasteners loose. Is it? (I realize that it's slick as *&%$, but use as penetrating liquid?)
confused.gif

We all need to give new ideas a chance, but when you consider how many bleed screws get broken off, I will let somebody else try this one. Getting old brake lines apart is tough too. Might be great for painted stuff.

Well lot's of people say WD-40 works, but I can tell you it doesn't. I'd stick with real penetrating fluid, sounds like a wives tale. I am interesting in the LC thing though.

-T

BF is a PAG which means it is a powerful and aromatic ester, so yes it can remove rust, paint, etc.

But BF is a severe irrtant and not very safe for this job.

I've also used it to decoke stationary engines
Pour in while running and stand well away from the exhaust.
grin.gif

Probably not recommended if longetivity of the engine is the objective.
wink.gif

Sure it is. Ever see rust inside a brake line? I keep old fluid from bleeding brakes and soak rusty stuff in it. Works great.

Bad choice for penetrant. Anything your hands touch on paint will be damaged. And if it was so great brake lines and bleeders would just unscrew themselves!!!! Brake fluid absorbs moisture...

I think the whole rusted brake lines and bleeders ixnay is a red herring. Brake fluid is very well sealed into the INSIDE of the hydraulic system. If even a drop of it is getting on the OUTSIDE of the bleeder, for example, that's a malfunction.

Sounds interesting, would it mix with acetone to reduce surface tension to help it wick into tight spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back