Best parts washer solvent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeking recommendations for solvents for a 20gal parts washer. Some of the recent mixes seem useless, if environmentally friendly. Dirty things are automotive powertrain & small-engine related.

On the same note, has anyone added a circulating filter to an unfiltered unit? I was considering installing a spare solvent pump through an oversize remote mounted filter. Not quite worthy of the SnapOn label but it might help extend solvent life. Thoughts?

Thanks,
David

David, check your PM
smile.gif
-Joe

David, You might want to check out Scheffers Citrol. This product is bio degradable and works extremly well. I and my wife use this stuff on everything from clothes to heavy grease. My truck lube center loves it as most of my customers do. It will even take off diesel fuel from your hands, and one thing I do alot is write all over my hand with a black permenant magic marker and just wipe it clean with this stuff. Works great with printers ink as well and has a great citrus smell.

Citrol 266
This is our spray can version I use on everything...
 -

80% Lube Control and 20% Neutra make a very good cleaning solution. Might be a bit expensive for 20 gallsons, but if you filter out the crud as you planned, one charge should last a long time.

I've used a simple felt heating oil filter on a parts washer...worked OK, not too fine so it didn't plug up immediately, price was right, but did catch a lot of crud.

Ken

Good idea, Ken. Thanks guys.

I'm also looking for a hot-tank type solution that won't burst into flames from an immersion heater. Still have the 20gal tub to fill but since heat usually assists and I have this "new" tub, I could see it being better for parts that fit. Max is ~4gallons and minimum to heat would be ~1.5. Thoughts? I can adjust heat element density as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back