Penetro 90 = antisieze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I was reading where one of our small group of petrophiles does preventative maintenance on all his new vehicles by anti-seizing his exhaust system.

It occurred to me that instead of all that disassembly to apply anti-seize maybe Penetro 90 would give the same effect.

I mean applying it as a preventative measure instead of a penetrating oil.

Think it will work?

I wouldn't. Why? let me tell you a short story as to what I have seen in two situations...

Had a Taurus wagon, wheel caps missing and stud looking rusty. Had car 2yrs never had the front wheels off. So, figuring I'm on my way up north, wouldn't be a bad idea to spray this to reduce rusting and such so it wouldn't be a problem for later if needed.

I then go up north to st louis a week later. then one the way back...approx 150 miles from st louis, my right wheel nut started to back off on it's own. Had to get to an autozone, buy a 17mm deep socket, and breaker bar and re-tighten. reason for right and not left is in st louis, downtown traffic is mainly all right turns than left. That had been the only thing I did was spray that stuff on there and nothing else. Never had a wrench on that wheel for nothing for 2 years while I had it.

Second story, I tell a guy about what happened to me and suggested not to spray it on a nut unless you plan on taking it off. Later I met with him on another order, He told me that in his wood chipper, he wanted to protect the bolts on the chipping wheel, so he sprayed them down. While running this unit, it threw a bolt out past his head. It had hit something behind him and found it, shut down the machine, and found where it had come out.

I recently sprayed my harley down with this.. It worked really well, as we live near the beach and rust was on a lot of parts, and after coating it, it dissolved most of the rust and has been exposed to the weather and no new rust has occurred since. Problem... I drove it the other day, I am now one set screw less than I started out with on my little fairing.

In a nut shell, use it cautiously, as on things that vibrate, it will cause things to loosen up over time.

For nuts & bolts, anti-seize is made for the job. Works great. I haven't used Penetro 90 spray yet but understand it's primarily a penetrant. Good for removing bolts and cutting through corrosion, but penetrants aren't usually the best long-term corrosion inhibitors because they tend to dry up and wash off.

What I've learned here in rain-ville USA...
For nuts & bolts, anti-seize. Or if that grew legs, motor oil works okay. For exposed/weathered surfaces try a good bike/motorcycle chain lube. Holds up better & won't sling off moving parts. (Bob, how's #163?) If electricity is involved and you don't want rogue conductivity (spark plugs/boots) use dieletric grease. Use WD40 only as a paper-weight.
wink.gif

Hey, this topic just made it start raining again.
smile.gif

David

Glad I asked!!! Sounds like Penetro 90 is great penetrating fluid. Need to add a can for my next order from Tim.

Ok how-about using Moly Dri-Plate as an anti-rust agent? I've got farm machinery that sits out in the weather 365. Some parts need protection but should not be painted. All the rust preventatives I've tried, fluid film, WD-40, Silicon spray and machine oil, leave a residue that attracts dirt or just seem to be washed off very easily.

I'd like to hear about a couple of those myself. Chain-lube has worked for me in similar cases. Its main function has to resist dirt & washout, but it could be cheaper. I can imagine you'd go through a bit of it protecting farm equipment.

#163 and #308 both look interesting.

WD-40 blows. It really does. Most people don't realize this until they've tried soemthing else which is better ... and nearly everything else is. I point this out as often as I can.
grin.gif

I've got a can of Valvoline Synpower spray which is really good. I don't think highly of this company anymore but this spray works well in spots needing a good lube ... with decent anti-corrosion properties. I hear the same about Mobil 1 in a can.

A friend and I are going to order a fair amount of Schaeffer stuff this spring and I was planning on getting a can of penetro.

--- Bror Jace

IMHO Kroil made by Kano Labs is the premier penetrating oil. We use either this or LPS-1 for all the hot section fasteners during gas turbine disassembly.

I have used Penetro90 and it is more than penetrating oil.

It is a penetrant, a lubricator, a rust preventor, and corrosion inhibitor.

WD 40 is primarily a water displacer. This is what it's original development was for and it works excellent in this regard. I had a old Ford with wet wires once and it wouldn't start. Just sprayed all the ignition parts with WD and it fired right up.

I used Penetrol 90 on my 3 bolts on the water pump thermostat housing. They were starting to rust. After I drove it to town and back the Penetrol was all gone and only a white teflon residue was left. All the rest had evaporated or burned off at about 210-230F. So use in high heat areas while running don't appear to be possible with this product. I now use a high temp anti-seeze to cover the bolt heads.

What I have experienced is that the Penetro90 leaves behind an almost transparent coating of antimony, a clear "glaze" of sorts. So while most of the stuff evaporats at higer temps, the Sb stays there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back