wax on trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some wax on the black rubber like trim on the minivan. How can I get it off? I tried to be careful but obviously not.

Advice or recommendations?

Mothers Back to Black worked for me when I 1st used it. In fact I got some Wax on my trim which I gotta remove as well, very soon.

I've seen Mothers BTB at Walmart and Kmart..anywhere.

I also need some sort of "back to black" thing to revive some faded trim.

Is mother's BTB silicon based?

I've been looking at "forever black" which is actually a dye..their description imresses me, it's NOT silicon based, provides UV protection, and comes in a shoe polish-type applicator bottle, with a pre-cleaner/prep/conditioner...for 12.oo bucks.

never seen it at stores, only online
frown.gif

Has anybody used Forever Black?

I have Back To Black, Black Again, and Forever Black as well as other similar products.

The best product I've used to remove wax from trim is called GR40. You can find it here: http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-cleaner.html

It might take a couple applications but it works great.

I've also had good luck with all purpose cleaners and a toothbrush or small stiff brush. You could try Simple Green and a toothbrush on an area to see how it works. Just make sure to rinse well.

I have heard peanut butter can be used to remove wax from black trim. just make sure its creamy and not chunky lol. never tried it but heard about it.

also I have tried this. MR clean magic eraser works good.

next time get some 3m Green painters tape and mask off all your black trim. that way you dont get wax on them in the first place. but DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT use reg masking tape. if you do you will be sorry
nono.gif

This is a VERY common problem with Ford Focus owners that have earlier year Focus' that come with plastic trim. Peanut Butter along with any other plastic SHINE product from what I've been told by many Focus owners will just "grease" up the plastic for a bit and it will soon return to looking like wax on plastic (Sounds like an Acid Record). What you need is a $.99 Rubber Pink Eraser that you use to use in school. Rub away and watch as the wax comes up little by little. I did it to my whole car after I was done waxing with Meguiars and learned a few days later I had wax imbedded into my plastic.

BTW I've also heard high quality waxes such as Zymol with natural ingredients don't cause this.

quote:

Originally posted by H2GURU:
WD-40 Removes wax from trim and from everything else ...so be careful

Agreed. I used it on my Impala's (regular model not ls or ss) trim, and now have to rewax on my next day off.

-

I've used 3M wax remover, I believe it's mostly xylene. It smells like paint thinner, something you definitely don't want your hands soaking in. It says it's safe for most paints but I'd be careful with it. I had wax on my jeep's plastic trim for over a year that nothing got out until I used this stuff and a nylon brush. It was fairly cheap, definitely less than $10 and it goes a long way.

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:

Has anybody used Forever Black?

Yes. I ordered some online. I had some areas of my dashboard that I wanted to do. Between order and arrival I was hit by a flatbed truck at 70MPH and the car was totalled. The dashboard was by that point in relatively better shape. Relatively.

Anyhow I used it on my new (to me) car, another Porsche 944. This is a car with a black rubber spoiler so its a pretty darned good test bed. They give you a cleaner/prep fluid too. It probably worked better than I expected, especially in terms of not streaking and looking weird. I even used a bit on an area of the passenger seat bolster with worn leather. It looked a little too intensely black but after cleaning and polishing it was an improvement.

I used Back to black once and it did nothing that a good cleaner would not

YMMV

Believe it or not...peanut butter.
The oil in peanut butter does the trick...at least till you buy that 3M stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back