Safe window cleaner for tinted windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just got my windows tinted at a 1st class shop (no bubbling or turning purple for me). They told me not to use any window cleaner that has ammonia, which rules out most of the off the shelf products. While shopping the other day, I picked up a bottle of Armor-All window cleaner, and it said it was ammonia-free. So, I then logged on to their website and asked if this was safe for tinted windows. To their credit, they said they didn't reccomend it. So, can anyone tell me what is a safe, off the shelf window cleaner that won't ruin my expensive window tinting? I'll use a home brew if I have to, but I'd prefer to go to the store and pick something up...

Thanks in advance.

The tint shop I use has their own window cleaner that they have made. I have seen a few brands at autozone/advance that says safe for tinted windows right on the label..

i just use a damp cloth, not to sound condescending, any reason u need to clean your tinted windows that well?

TurboLuver tells me what I suspect, that very few cleaners are safe for aftermarket tinted windows. However, I don't have the luxury of buying the proprietary cleaner his shop makes. Thanks, OutlawTitan for your response. I'll query Eagle One as to the safety of using their product. This is what I'm looking for, something off the shelf that is safe. I'm not interested in homebrew concoctions, regardless of how well any of them might work. I just want to go to the store and buy something that will work, and not damage my tinted windows.

Basically, any window cleaner that doesn't contain ammonia would be safe to use on tinted windows. A check of the back label will usually tell you this.

As far as the store bought cleaners go. Eagle 20/20 and Turtle Wax ClearVue are two of the best "tint-safe" cleaners that I've used.

If you can find it locally, Sprayway Glass Cleaner is excellent and safe for window tint. I've also used Plexus Plastic Cleaner with excellent results on my car's tinted windows.

Whatever glass cleaner you buy, definitely use a high quality microfiber towel to reduce marring of the film. Hand wash the towel and use it *only* for glass cleaning.

With a microfiber towel, you don't really need a glass cleaner unless the windows are real grubby. Just dampen the towel with water and wipe em down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back