What is a good leather cleaner/conditioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I've always used saddle soap followed by neatsfoot oil.

Neatsfoot oil can destroy leather over time. Not to mention it's an animal-derived product which will turn rancid and attract insects.

Update:I actually found a cleaner/conditioner that I like!

It's none other than Turtle Wax leather cleaner and conditioner.It works well and leaves a matte finish with no residue.Good stuff!

Gang, Connelly Hide Food. It's what I've used in Rolls-Royce Motorcars, for decades. Its delicately balanced for fine leathers. Lexol is good too. Leatherique is the best for neglected leather and everyday use vehicles.

I recently found MacQuires leather wipes that I use weekly in the '79 BMW 733i. Very Good on the old car and very handy using them in a one pass method, they smell good and leave a nice feel to the old leather. I like them!

I do OK with whatever I have handy, usually Meguiar's Gold Class liquid or spray. My leather seats are kept clean and are in good shape, so I haven't had a need at this point for anything else.

thank you, i go on this site to find information like this. i was cautious about this product, but this help

If you are serious, then Lexol, if you are lazy, then one of those all in one. I use lexol, but if it just for spot cleaning, I use the Armor All.

I don't know, Lexol is very very gentle on leather, so elbow grease galore. You need two buckets, one for warm water for the towel in which you apply lexol cleaner. Another clean bucket of water for wiping and rinsing down the seats and your towel. It's a pain in the bum.

Conolly hide food smells like rancid animal fat.Why not try Autoglyl if you can get them, leather cleaner and a separate conditioner. Recommended by Aston Martin Lagonda, McLaren, Jaguar.

The vast majority of automotive leather is top coated, meaning the leather hides are dyed (sprayed or vat) then coated with a clearcoat to protect the leather from day-to-day damage and UV rays. When I say "the vast majority" I'm talking like 90%+ of the factory installed leather interiors on cars today.

I would NOT use Connolly Hide Food on a coated leather interior. It's the wrong product for the job. The only leather to use hide food on is aniline (uncoated and vat dyed) which is very rare in modern cars. The leather in older Jags and Rolls Royce's were uncoated so hide food is OK for them.

If you're not sure what kind of leather you have, use a conditioner and cleaner that's safe for both coated and uncoated leather and you will be fine.

If you have GOOD leather (not Caddy "almost vinyl" or thin Honda stuff) Connolly Bros. Hide Food is best.

My wife used to drive Jag XJ6s. I found the best way was to rub this stuff (it's like Crisco, full of lanolin) liberally into the leather with bare hands, in the morning. Then I would put all the windows up and let the car sit in the hot sun for most of a day. The heat would "melt" the Hide Food deep into the leather. Finally buff off the excess with a soft cloth like a diaper. Repeat at 3-4 month intervals.

The last Jag I sold was 14 years old and went for 50% over retail book. People could not believe that the moist, uncracked red leather had not been recently replaced!

For everyday leathers, most detail pros I know seem to use Lexol. I'm using it on my wife's new BMW.

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:
The vast majority of automotive leather is top coated, meaning the leather hides are dyed (sprayed or vat) then coated with a clearcoat to protect the leather from day-to-day damage and UV rays. When I say "the vast majority" I'm talking like 90%+ of the factory installed leather interiors on cars today.

I would NOT use Connolly Hide Food on a coated leather interior. It's the wrong product for the job. The only leather to use hide food on is aniline (uncoated and vat dyed) which is very rare in modern cars. The leather in older Jags and Rolls Royce's were uncoated so hide food is OK for them.

If you're not sure what kind of leather you have, use a conditioner and cleaner that's safe for both coated and uncoated leather and you will be fine.

That's the information I was looking for. I remember this topic from Autopia. I know yhou posted there a long time ago
grin.gif
. Anyway..are most conditioners O.K. for this type of leather (top-coated)? Like Lexol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back