Rubber Door Seal Protectant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The absolute best would be silicon dielectric grease and/or krytox.

I put this on one vehicle's (2001 Corvette) window and door seals and even after app 5 years the seal remains tacky and supple (almost sticky). A perceived problem might be it does tend to hold dirt particles- a tad bit more than the normal rubber rejuvenator cleaner or treatments.

I use the normal other stuff such as Zaino's and Meguairs #40 rubber rejuvenator and cleaner but it lasts nowhere NEAR what the above products have.

[ April 25, 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

Any suggestions for protecting a "newer" cars rubber door seals? I figure it is better to put something on them now BEFORE they start cracking. However, I am afraid to put a BAD product on that will make them crack sooner.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Any suggestions for protecting a "newer" cars rubber door seals? I figure it is better to put something on them now BEFORE they start cracking. However, I am afraid to put a BAD product on that will make them crack sooner.

I use, and suggest 303 Protectant.
No silicone in it, BTW. All of the seals on my 95 E34 BMW look like new. Great for underhood plastic/composites as well.

http://www.303products.com/main.php

Happy with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Try the large economy size (5 gallon)

http://www.wholesalemn.com

Use "303" in the search box.

Only place I've found offering the 5 gallon refill though others may have added it to their inventory by now.

Haven't bought from this site so can't vouch for the firm.

I've been putting an annual coating of pure dielectric silicon grease on my seals for the past decade. Almost stops enviromental wear. Reduces rubbing type wear quite a bit. Takes two of the little tubes you can find anywhere to do the Impala. I bought a large "cheese whiz" can of technician grade dielectric grease and it is much tackier and not clear. Not good for this app.

quote:

Originally posted by lab:
I have worked at several new car dealers and they all used wd-40.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

FYI I think if you go to the 303 web site they still have a link for a free samples. They'll send you samples of a couple of their products.

BMW's Gummi-Pflege is no longer available through most or pehaps all dealer's. I still have some and it works great. Hope to find some more somewhere!

quote:

Originally posted by Russell:
BMW's Gummi-Pflege is no longer available through most or pehaps all dealer's. I still have some and it works great. Hope to find some more somewhere!

Wow, I didn't realize that. I purchased a tube of the stuff approx. 2 years ago from my local BMW dealer (to user on my Audi). Should last me quite some time as I find I don't need to use it very often.

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
FYI I think if you go to the 303 web site they still have a link for a free samples. They'll send you samples of a couple of their products.

Thanks for the heads-up. I got a sample of the protectant coming so I'll see what all of the commotion is about on this product.

Sevum cervinum works well. That's stag tallow. You can get it in European automotive supply stores. Comes in the shape of a big Chap Stick. I wouldn't use it in a hot and humid climate, because it "might" attract insects. That stuff also prevents freezing of the rubber door seals to the doors. It doesn't harm rubber. Maybe Chap-Stick works, too?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back