Is it really bad to use a chamois on a black finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man,that chick has some hooters
shocked.gif
on autopia!

I used to use chamois, but when I got my black Boxster, I decided it was time to update my detailing knowledge. Tons of hours, 3 tech sessions (two of them with Meguiars') later, I am now using the California Water Blade and the Waffle Weave Drying Towel. I have to say, once you try the Waffle Weave on a black car, you never go back. The stuff is GREAT!

Where do you guys find the waffle weave drying towels? I've looked at every auto store In my area, Advance auto, O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, even wal-mart and I can't find any.

I have a black car too. I have never tried the leaf blower method. Everyone says they use this method. It it even safe. Doesn't the leaf blower have a tendency to pick up things and blow them at the car while your blowing it off. I am very hesitant to use this method because affraid its even worse than using a towel.

After I tried that Mr Clean product with the water filter, I will never chamois again, and use a blade on the glass is all. It works as advertised, no spots. I am throwing my chamois in the trash now.

The Absorber is what I used before on my black car, works pretty well, absorbs a lot, very durable, etc. Throw it back in the can damp after squeezing it out, and it won't harden so its ready to go for your next use. OR let it dry like a rock and then just wet it before use next time. If you throw it back in the can damp like I did, it can get mildewy after a long while, but you can wash it with laundry soap and a little vinegar no problem, back in action.
 -

As for "waffle weave" microfiber, do you mean something like this? It can be had at Advance and likely other places, on a little Meguiar's rack. I don't know if all the AA stores carry it.
 -

I like some of the new meguiar's accessories, like their brushes and even coat microfiber applicator.

Lately I've stopped using such things altogether, as I too use Mr. Clean's AutoDry. Might as well throw in a picture of that too.
 -

I can honestly say that after over one year with this car, and using my chamois on it A LOT, that it does not scratch the finish at all.

Chamois work best when they are soaked in a bucket of hot water with a tiny splash(no more than a tea spoon) of fabric softener sitting there while you are wahsing your vehicle. Although I prefer old bath towels soaked the same way.

i still use a chamois some, but the best thing to do is not really dry the car that much in the first place.

get one of those hose nozzles that allows you to adjust the spray. rinse the car with the "soaker" setting (it's like no nozzle at all). the water will sheet off (rather than bead up) and you can dry the car with a single small microfiber towel.

some wax-as-you-dry product will help as well.

California Water Blade(no knock-offs), helps to get off the majority of the water quickly prior to the actual drying process.

so does any squeegee.

use the chamois (pre-wetted) in much the same way (to wipe rather than absorb) at first and you won't have to buy anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back