Clay Bar a new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
youll find that if you use the qd for a lube, youll run out real fast. Mix some car wash soap and distilled water for lubrication when claying. Its much much cheaper and works the same. Just remember, after you clay, you must do a wash to remove all the clay residue.

Oh yeah, thanks for mentioning that! If you use car soap as your lube, I would suggest washing or rinsing it again before proceeding to wax or polish. I'm not sure if soap will interfere or not with either, but I don't want to find out.
wink.gif

However, if you use detail spray as a lube, I keep a spray bottle of plain water handy to "wake up" the lube as it dries out. I use up a lot less spray this way. Also, you don't have to wash the car before waxing or polishing if you use detail spray, as it won't affect it.

Wash it either way if you get clay "residue" (I never have) stuck to the paint. Since you should be wiping/buffing the area once you're done a spot anyway you may not get it though. Clay residue is sometimes a problem with some of the softer, stickier varieties however.

i ran out of lube so i use water only..but alot of it...it eats up the clay bar..but my clay bar is over due for changing.

i use mothers.

I saw the light of clay bar a couple of years ago.

Fantastic concept and product.

I'm not shilling for Griot's, but it's my detail supply source of choice.

Not only do I buy my clay from them, but I buy their liguid detail solution "Speed Shine" by the gallon. I probably mist and wipe the Mustang two or three times a week using Speed Shine.

It's an excellent clay bar lube also.

Everyone's already posted the most important things, especially "use plenty of lube". Clay is easy to use and you'll get the hang of it within minutes. (Just don't try to use it on badly pitted or oxidized paint. It works best on relatively smooth paint surfaces.)

Good luck!

btw: here's Griot's link
Griot's Garage At first glance it may appear pricey and frivilous with all the cutesy accesory products, but its core business of car car is top notch.)

[ September 27, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: doc540 ]

Clay bars rock. But instead of using priceier sprays to keep the clay bar wet and help it slide smoothly, I just use a little bit of Dawn and water in a spray bottle. Basicly when you Clay a car your not only getting all the contaminants off the paint but you also want to get most of the old wax off and ready the surface for a new coat. As we all know, the only time you use a dishwashing liquid is before you put the new wax on. Any other time after that you just stripping off what you put on the week before. I use all the Zaino products, from the wax to car wash liquid and the enhancer I use the rest of the year after a good waxing. Just wash and then spritz and polish. Smoother than a babies bottem.
cheers.gif

[ October 13, 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: mostang ]

oo u put it in the microwave? humm thats interesting....i have one thats semi hard but after a while it will get soft....maybe i should try that

Claying will make a big difference on your finish! I couldn't believe how much stuff was on my cars that I have clayed! I keep them clean too.

I have found dawn suds make a great lubricant.

cool.gif
The clay does a real nice job on the front end of my wife's white Grand Am. EVERYTHING shows up on that thing. The other thing I do is nuke the clay in the microwave for 30 seconds every once in a while, makes it easier to fold it over and stretch it out again. Meguier's is all I can find where I live.
cool.gif
<---what I look like with sunglasses on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back