A couple questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that alot of people say automatic car washes strip wax. What about the manual operated car washes? I'm kind of fond of them because it's MUCH easier than doing it at home and I can do it for $1.50.

Are these hard on wax? I know for a fact that don't use recycled water / soap. I know the owner.
smile.gif

Also I have some 16" custom rims. The finish on them is a silver paint...... I assume I can treat this just like I would the paint on my car? Is it a good idea to wax them often to keep brake dust from sticking to them? I've seen alot of aluminum / mag wheel cleaners, but I'm afraid these are too harsh.

Thanks

The manual washes are ok as long as you use them with some caution. The water pressure can be high enough to drive dirt into seals and seams where you don't necessarily want it. Also you don't want to use high pressure right up close to the finish for risk of possible damage. The soaps in the ones that I have used seem alittle on the strong side and have never seen a brush/mop that I would use on my paint. Other than that, go for it if its easier for you.

As for the wheels, most are painted so treat them like the paint on the car. Waxing will make it easier to wash off brake dust and debris and their finish will last longer, just like the body paint. For cleaners, there are many types for different finishes, ie: painted, polished/clear coat, no clear coat, anodized etc. Make sure you pick an appropriate cleaner for your particular finish as some are more acidic/akaline than others for certain finishes. I've had very good luck with P21S gel. I've been using it for over 10 years with no problems. Its Ph is about the most neutral I have seen so is safe for just about any type of wheel.

Yeah, don't use the soap or any of the brushes at those places - bring your own stuff and basically just use their water.

Waxing your wheels is a good idea, but keep in mind that after you wax them you can't really use a wheel cleaner product on them without stripping off the wax. Honestly, it's easier to use wheel cleaners than it is to wash them off with an old mitt and car shampoo, but it's safer to just use soap. If you do use a wheel cleaner just choose one that says it's for all wheels, including painted finishes. Other cleaners (ie, chrome or aluminum wheel cleaners) are way stronger. Either way, be just careful and do NOT let it dry out on the wheel. I recommend Eagle One A2Z, Meguiar's retail wheel cleaners, and this new stuff Orange Blast Wheel Cleaner for true "spray on, hose off" performance. Anything else and you might as well just use soap. I haven't tried P21S myself because it's so hard to get.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 4DSC:
Yeah, don't use the soap or any of the brushes at those places - bring your own stuff and basically just use their water.

Waxing your wheels is a good idea, but keep in mind that after you wax them you can't really use a wheel cleaner product on them without stripping off the wax. Honestly, it's easier to use wheel cleaners than it is to wash them off with an old mitt and car shampoo, but it's safer to just use soap. If you do use a wheel cleaner just choose one that says it's for all wheels, including painted finishes. Other cleaners (ie, chrome or aluminum wheel cleaners) are way stronger. Either way, be just careful and do NOT let it dry out on the wheel. I recommend Eagle One A2Z, Meguiar's retail wheel cleaners, and this new stuff Orange Blast Wheel Cleaner for true "spray on, hose off" performance. Anything else and you might as well just use soap. I haven't tried P21S myself because it's so hard to get.
tongue.gif

Best stuff for wheels I've ever tried:

-

Takes brake dust, dirt, etc. right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back