Great Car Polish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kerosene!

Yep. I saw this beautiful truck in our parking lot a while back and had to ask how he kept it looking so great. Kerosene he said. His father swears by it and he has used it on every car he has owned. Every second or third wash he puts a cupful of kerosene in the wash pail and not only does it remove all contaminants but leaves great shine that also repells water.

I swear that is what he said!

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

quote:

That's interesting about the Duragloss from Carquest. How can that be possible? Did someone steal or licence the formulation? Hmm..

Well, according to the Website, Duragloss has been around for a long time.

You wanna hear my theory? I think Sal purchases his stuff from Duragloss, and repackages it as Zaino.

However, others have e-mailed both Sal and Duragloss, and both companies deny any connection. Sal only admitted that he has "shared technology with Duragloss in the past", or some such statement.

All I know, is that I can take Z1, and apply Duragloss 111 Clear coat polish over top of it, as if it were Z2, and it works the same (and vice-versa with Duragloss 601 Polish Prep and Z2). The Car wash, and Z6 detailer spray are identical too (Duragloss car wash is red, Zaino Z7 is purple... other than that, there are no differences).

Even the bottles are identical, except for the label.

You be the judge. For < $15, you can grab a few products at Carquest and see for yourself.
smile.gif

I used to be a devout Zaino junkie, and I will tell you that all my polish purchases are at Carquest these days!
wink.gif

Wow that is very interesting if true... Did Carquest come out with their own version of ZFX before the Zaino one did? I wonder if we could somehow do an analysis
grin.gif
to compare both.. Gonna go by Carquest tomorrow and check this out..

quote:

You wanna hear my theory? I think Sal purchases his stuff from Duragloss, and repackages it as Zaino.

However, others have e-mailed both Sal and Duragloss, and both companies deny any connection. Sal only admitted that he has "shared technology with Duragloss in the past", or some such statement.

Even the bottles are identical, except for the label.

You be the judge. For < $15, you can grab a few products at Carquest and see for yourself.
smile.gif
Sounds like the great Zaino Conspiracy
shocked.gif

[ February 26, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Hmmmm...Went to the Duragloss site and am now confused as to how that product and Zaino are similar. Three of the four Duragloss polishes contain abrasives and another contains wax.
confused.gif
As I understand it, Zaino products contain neither abrasives nor wax.

I think I'll stick with the true, non-abrasive, polymer sealants like Zaino, Klasse, and Blackfire.
grin.gif

I also frequent a car detailng website, so I've seen all sorts of products and techniques debated. I must say forst of all that I never heard of using kerosene before.
pat.gif

I have a 98 Grand Prix (black), 70 MGB (red) and an 01 Saturn SL2 (black-silver) that I maintain inside and out. I've discovered that there is no one perfect product. You need to use different products from different companies to get the result you are looking for.

My current arsenal includes products from Meguair's, Zaino, Clearkote and other specialty brands such as S100. I prefer Zaino in the winter time for it's high durability. I prefer Clearkote for its ease of use and superior depth of shine it produces in the other seasons. It only lasts about 90 days though. I use the other products to remove swirls since Zaino doesn't remove swirls or even do a decent job of filling them. It does give a great shine and offers wonderful protection.

Of course, there was a time when I thought the best stuff out there was Blue Coral.

quote:

I use the other products to remove swirls since Zaino doesn't remove swirls or even do a decent job of filling them.

Have you used the Z5? I've not used it yet. but I just ordered some, and from what I've been told, it does a great job of filling swirls.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:

quote:

I use the other products to remove swirls since Zaino doesn't remove swirls or even do a decent job of filling them.

Have you used the Z5? I've not used it yet. but I just ordered some, and from what I've been told, it does a great job of filling swirls.

I've used Z5 extensively and it stinks at filling swirls, IMNSHO. It may fill in the slightest micro-marring but that's it. The diffs between Z5 and Z2 are minimal-to-nonexistent.

If you need to remove swirls the best product to use is a dedicated swirl mark remover. These are light polishes that will slightly level the paint to take out the swirls as opposed to just filling them in like a glaze does. Meguiar's and 3M make excellent swirl mark removers. Remember to wash your car after using a SMR and before Zaino as the oils and fillers in SMR will interfere with Zaino bonding.

I have Duragloss and will be testing it soon. I'll probably test it side-by-side with Z2, Klasse, and a prototype product I just received. Should be an interesting comparo.

Well, I completed the full boat Zaino application, whew! that was some work...

You were right, it does fill the smaller swirls, but not the deeper ones, but I'm really leary of using anything abrasive enough to actually take the out completely.

The stock paint on the SS is not the highest quality, and until I can afford a new paint job, I'll not worry about the swirls.

The Zaino finish is head and shoulders above Gold Class. Everyone who has seen the car has given plenty of oohs and aahs.

i bet u can get good shine that zaino gets from meguires. its ALOT more work though. zaino is good stuff but costs some cash. i just rewaxed my car and i put it next to a car that had zaino, both almost purely identical. usually i kill the wax with diswashing soap, and then put clay bar on the car, wash with diswashing soap again and then rubb polish aggresivly and then a few mintues later put some carnuba wax. beutiful.

if i had the cash ill hit up zaino, but as for now im happy =)/

How is Zaino expensive? It's still only around $13 a bottle isn't it? You really don't need to buy all the different products from them. I basically just use their Z2 polish, and skip the Z1 treatment, and my cars end up looking great. After 13 coats of that stuff on my 98 Formula, it looked super shiny.

-

I know an old mechanic who has been working as a mechanic for 53 years and is now 83 years old. He still works on cars. I was in his shop recently and I saw his old Oldsmobile car (it is a '93). The shine was so good I thought for a second that it was a new car. He uses an orginial carnuba wax that costs about $45.00. He orders it from somewhere-he told me he would find the paperwork and let me know. It is hard to put on but lasts a long time. The shine had to be seen to be believed-it was like looking into a mirror. But the wax is expensive and it is hard to put on. I think I will try the $15.00 stuff from CarQuest.

I waxed my '93 Olds Ciera twice in the 4 years I owned it. Turtle wax the first 2 times, once when I got it and again about 2 years later.

I waxed it with Gold Class right before I gave it to grandma. The paint still looked new. I don't know what thy changed, but my SS has been babied, and the paint is nowhere near as good as the Ciera's paint. It still looks pretty darn good anyway.

The kerosene trick is very old. I have seen my dad do that on a car at his station 30-35 years ago. The owner was going to trade it in and wanted it to look good without spending a bunch of money on it. So we washed it with the kerosene in the wash water. Water will really bead up on on the car when you are through.

I mostly use Zaino on mine though. I get the most complements when I use it. Need to order some more. It does take a long time to use it all up because you don't have to use much at a time.

Les

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back