Car Wash-Kerosene & Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, person in our building at work has this beautiful looking truck and upon checking out the shine and the smoothness and how slippery it was I had to ask what wax he used. Well, he claims that every third wash he mixed a half a cup of kerosene and water,, not car wash etc. and washes it. Nothing else. Says he has done this with every car he has owned as well as his father and does not damage the finish or anything. looks great.

Anyone every hear of this?

I did this once on my 1992 Ford Ranger, because it had the goop they put on at the factory to protect the paint.

I don't know if it made it shiney or help the paint last longer.

I'll say this, the paint did not hold up as well on the truck as it did on my Camper shell, made by ARE!

The firemen in the company firehouse at Lone Star Steel Co., years ago, always used about 1/2 to 1 cup of kerosene in a 5-gal bucket of soapy water. My dad used to work right next to the firehouse, & I saw them do this many times. Sure were shiny fire trucks, too!

If it is so good, why don't they market it?

Maybe it's good at stripping the oxidized paint and crud off.

I am skeptical that it is as gentle as car soap.

I know this is controversial, but I have great luck using Zaino Z2 polish and the Zaino Z7 wash.
Using these two lessens the amount of times I need to wax my cars. My wife's car still beads
water well, and the last time I put on Z2 was last fall! The Z7 wash helps make the Z2 last
longer, as I used to use Armor All car wash and my Z2 didn't last as long.

Althought I have never tried it myself, I have heard several "old timers" tell me that years ago they always put kerosine in the wash bucket.

Many people use pledge too (which is full of silicone). I haven't tried this either as I don't like silicone based products on my paint.

I have tried many products and like Patman I have settled on Zaino. It is easy to use and gives me killer results.

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
What is in Zaino that is so controversial?

I think it's just the way Zaino is marketed, and on Edmunds the people there seem to hate
it, even though it's a great product.

Patman,

What raises people's ire about the way Zaino is marketed? You can't just run down to Wal*Mart and pick it up and you can't use a credit card when buying direct, perhaps these are the probelms.

I've used Zaino for over two years now. The product is phenomenal and what really impresses me is that when you call with a question, you speak with the owner!

Not much of a controversy.

Any bad press about zaino? Sounds all good.
smile.gif

I too use Zaino. I have appied it as directed and also over carnuba wax and carnuba over zaino all on different cars. My opinion is that Collinite carnuba gives a slippier finish, really smooth but Zaino is almost as slippery, appears to last much longer and is actually easier to apply. Contrary to what Sal says I have not found a diff by applying carnuba over zaino or zaino over carnuba. Seems to work as well, However, because I do it so often the effect may not show up. Especially good on dark finishes

I too never understood why the Edmunds members hated Zaino. Sal Zaino is awesome, I have emailed him dozens of times with questions and he always replies back promptly and fully explains everything in detail. He truly cares about his product!

I think people are ticked simply because they are stuck with the wax they've used for years and are afraid of change.

The best part about Zaino is how easy it is to remove. Even if you put it on in the hot sun it
still comes off easy. I've never used another wax that can do that!

Kerosene is used as the solvent/carrier for most car waxes.

I have the best luck with Maguire's products.

Painst have oils in them. Kerosene and waxes replace the paint's oils.

Yes, Barber's chair has it, and I have a friend who lives in the east end who distributes it as
well. If you are interested, email me for his contact info.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
What is in Zaino that is so controversial?

I think it's just the way Zaino is marketed, and on Edmunds the people there seem to hate
it, even though it's a great product.

I am a little hesitant to respond here as I'm considered Public Enemy #1 at Edmunds re: Zaino. But I do think a little clarity is in order.

I don't know anyone at Edmunds who "hates Zaino". What exists are two topic rooms discussing car appearance products - one for Zaino only and one for "Store Bought Waxes" that does not allow posts discussing Zaino. This came about after a good two years of bickering between Zaino lovers and those who questioned the veracity of pro-Zaino claims (like me). So the friction is between people and personalities and not products. The decision was made by Edmunds moderators to separate the two camps. The battles still went on (doom on Bruce Norman) until a couple combatants were banned. Things at Edmunds have been quite civil for a good while.

I have Zaino products and like them but I don't think they live to up to all the hype. It's nice stuff but not perfect. I have a lot of experience with car detailing and car care products so if y'all have questions, feel free to ask.

And, no, I won't call you a crybaby or a Luddite or attack you personally like I've been attacked by dozens of Zaino worshippers.

[ August 15, 2002, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: bretfraz ]

And, no, I won't call you a crybaby or a Luddite or attack you personally like I've been attacked by dozens of Zaino worshippers

Thats good as we will be on that like a fly is on stink. I will have to say this board has excellent indiviuals and all so far have done very well for civilty. We definatly appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back