04.5 Cummins, Esso 0w40 / PetroCan 15w40 high aluminum & potassium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting elevated levels of aluminum and potassium in my last two oil samples. The truck is a 2004.5 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9L Cummins. I have a Frantz bypass filter, and use Fleetguard Stratapore filters. I also have an AFE intake system installed on this truck as well.

I took the last sample at halfway through the OCI and the aluminum and potassium appear to be accumulating at the same rate. I will know more when I do another analysis at the full OCI in a few weeks.

Could it be my head gasket leaking antifreeze? Both samples tested negative for glycol, and I haven’t noticed any antifreeze consumption.

Could it be a bad injector burning a pistion? My truck has been known to smoke quite a bit from time to time at startup.

What do you guys think?

Forgot the analysis

-

That definitely looks like a coolant leak, but a very small one. I wonder if this engine uses aluminum in the crank bearings? Iron wear is way up too.

I'm guessing this rig is still under warranty. Show this to your service manager and see what he says. Maybe a pressure test of the system is in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back