Analysis feedback Amsoil in a 2002 TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Here are the results from the 1st two oil analysis's on my 2002 VW Jetta TDI Automatic.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mileage on car: 19963
Miles on oil: 9133
Oil: Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30
Iron: 63
Chromiun: 9
Lead: 4
Copper: 13
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 10
Nickel: 7
Silver: 0
Silicon: 6
Boron: 1
Sodium: 1
Magnesium: 19
Calcium: 3744
Barium: 0
Phosphorus: 1077
Zinc: 1360
Molybdenum: 5
Titanium: 0
Vanadium: 0
Potassium: 0
Fuel %VOL: Vis @ 40 C: NA
Vis @ 100 C: 11.48
Water: 0
Soot/Solids: 0.6%
Glycol: NEG
TBN: 6.67
OXID: 22.0
NITR: 18.0
F-SOOT: 0.63

2nd analysis:

Mileage on car: 31091
Miles on oil: 11128
Iron: 84
Chromiun: 8
Lead: 3
Copper: 17
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 11
Nickel: 4
Silicon: 3
Boron: 10
Sodium: 4
Magnesium: 46
Calcium: 3916
Phosphorus: 1001
Zinc: 1344
Molybdenum: 2
Potassium: 0
Fuel %VOL: Vis @ 40 C: NA
Vis @ 100 C: 13.03
Water: 0
Soot/Solids: 0.7%
Glycol: NEG
TBN: 7.28
OXID: 24.0
NITR: 19.0
F-SOOT: 0.73

Basically, Iron up, copper up, lead down aluminum up and silicon WAY down.

I wonder if a bypass filter would be appreciated due to the solids? I am not a fan of bypass filters unless high mileage oil changes are done. They seem to keep the oil cleaner.

You have ususally high iron and chromium. I would guess you have a mechanical problem of some sort. I would contact Dyson Analysis for a review of your UOA's. High Iron is associated with Gears, roller bearings, cylinder/liners, shafts. High chromium is associated with Roller bearings, piston rings. This would seem to indicate a cylinder with problems. Aluminum is associated with pistons so again a cylinder with problems. Terry Dyson is your best bet at this point. Let us know what he advises.

Found this of the autospeed web site as related to oil analysis: Top-end Wear: Characterised by increased Fe (cylinder liner), Al (pistons) and Cr (rings) levels. The presence of Ni usually indicates camshaft/cam follower wear

[ June 24, 2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: TR3-2001SE ]

With 30k on this motor, I'd expect to see Fe levels in the 30-50 ppm range and Cr levels in the 1-3 ppm range, so these are way out of line. I'd be interested to know what the maintenance was during the first 10k of engine life?

I suspect this abnormal ring/cylinder wear is caused by a mechanical problem with one or more of the compression rings. For example, the ring may not be flipping properly at the end of the stroke and so it's rubbing on the cylinder wall. Soot levels are acceptable, if not ideal, and the silicon level is extremely low, so I'd discount these as the source of this abnormal wear pattern.

The oxidation/nitration levels are also elevated, which indicates excessive blowby. In addition, the soot level is several times as high as it should be for a new TDI running treated fuel. This is also an indication that the compression rings aren't sealing properly ....

The levels of softer metals are also marginally high. These could be coming from the connecting rod bearings and wrist pin on the affected cylinder or cylinders. Any binding of the piston/ring assembly would dump higher loads into these parts....

I'd probably do a compression check - the cylinder to cylinder variation should be within +/- 5% and the compression should be approx 550 psi.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
I wonder if a bypass filter would be appreciated due to the solids? I am not a fan of bypass filters unless high mileage oil changes are done. They seem to keep the oil cleaner.

Actually, as part of this oil change I added a Amsoil BMK-11 with a BE-110 element. We shall see what happens.

OK. Another analysis:

Mileage on car: 32117
Miles on oil: 1027
Iron: 6
Chromiun: 1
Lead: 1
Copper: 0
Tin: 1
Aluminum: 8
Nickel: 0
Silicon: 6
Boron: 34
Sodium: 1
Magnesium: 0
Calcium: 4335
Phosphorus: 1258
Zinc: 1386
Molybdenum: 0
Cadmium: 0
Fuel (%VOL): Vis @ 40 C: NA
Vis @ 100 C: 11.5
Water: Soot/Solids: Glycol: NEG
TBN: NA
OXID:

This is the 1st sample with the full bypass filter on it. How's this?

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
With 30k on this motor, I'd expect to see Fe levels in the 30-50 ppm range and Cr levels in the 1-3 ppm range, so these are way out of line. I'd be interested to know what the maintenance was during the first 10k of engine life?

I bought the car with 9K on it and the service manual showed the scheduled oil change at 5,000 being done.

quote:

Originally posted by Paul L Fisher:

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
Here is another report to compare. Same engine with by-pass filter:
Mikes Analysis.

Get your Amsoil here. www.lube-direct.com

Almost iron readings identical to mine. Does everyone still think that there is an issue?

Nope no issue with me. I bet when you change it out and go on the second clean run you will see lower numbers.

I'm also thinking that you would be lower numbers with a 10w40 as well. But over all there's no problem.

quote:

I'm sorry, what is "the OCI" and who's Terry?

OCI is oil change or oil drain interval. Shorten it to 5k miles until some analytical feedback from Terry.

Terry is Terry Dyson, oil analyst and consultant who is a site sponsor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back