Antifreeze in Dodge CTD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

This is a '04 Dodge CTD with 45,000 miles. About 44,000 miles of this trucks short life has been spent pulling a fairly heavy trailer (GCVW 28,000lbs) OTR. Take a look at the UOA and see if you think the high potassium is antifreeze contamination.

-

Aren't you significantly overweight with that trailer ? It's not surprising that you're seeing signs of early wear, as although the engine is often used in applications up to and over such loads I think that it's also with an engine tuned differently by Cummins and I'll guess with different overall gearing thru the load range. Just a guess though.

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:
Aren't you significantly overweight with that trailer ? It's not surprising that you're seeing signs of early wear, as although the engine is often used in applications up to and over such loads I think that it's also with an engine tuned differently by Cummins and I'll guess with different overall gearing thru the load range. Just a guess though.

Not really overloaded if you consider that most OTR engines run only produce 30-40% of their rated HP. I can tell you that this engine just jogs along most of the time without even breaking a sweat.

Wayne

Are you using any type of additive in the fuel that could contribute to those elevated numbers? The VOA section here shows that Rotella T 15W-40 does not contain any potassium as an additive.

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:
Are you using any type of additive in the fuel that could contribute to those elevated numbers? The VOA section here shows that Rotella T 15W-40 does not contain any potassium as an additive.

Hmm - good point. We use Shell Rotella DFA for it's lubricity and water separation properties. I wonder if that could be where the potassium is comeing from?

Elevated potassium and aluminum is what you see when a head gasket is starting to go on a Cummins. This is not unusual if you tow heavy because of high head temperature and cylinder pressure. Do you have an EGT gage? The newer Cummins engines will exceed allowable EGT even when stock if you tow heavy up hills without downshifting. Your still under warranty, so you should get the engine checked.

Blackstone's advice is good. These things generally get worse over time. If you see high potassium at 5K, you are risking major engine damage. This is why you do oil analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by wwillson:

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:

Hmm - good point. We use Shell Rotella DFA for it's lubricity and water separation properties. I wonder if that could be where the potassium is comeing from?

Shell said there isn't any potassium in DFA...

ARE YOU SERIOUS? A 21,000lb trailer? You are way over loaded and a hazard on the highway. The term 'panic stop' comes from vehicles like yours. Get real and buy a suitable tow vehicle! I doubt the Dealer (or Cummins) would warranty squat if they knew what you were doing with it. No disrespect meant, but take a step back and look at the overall picture. Jim, a fellow Cummins owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back