fuel 0
glycol 0
oxid 0
nitr 0
TBN 8

Analysis by Oilguard

Modifications: EGR, CCV, ventectomy, and descreened

Fuel: steady diet of Koch Gold

Additives: Soyshield and a mix of Soyshield and Powerservice during winter.

Top up: I don't remember, I'm estimating about 1/2 quart. I will keep track of this better in the future.

Ok, please don't jump all over me for the short interval. This engine deals with less than ideal conditions. Also, this is my first UOA. The first 1500 miles on this sample was a summer trip, mostly interstate 75mph. The remainder is my wifes commute and running errands. Since October my wifes commute has been reduced to one mile each way. Most of her errands are also very short. She would drive this car several times everyday for weeks without ever reaching operating temp. It appears her short drives are not causing any problems. I am very suspicous of the zero oxidation and nitration and will be calling the lab. The viscosity appears to have sheared some. I am not suprised by the lack of soot. The oil appeared very clean for a diesel, more of a grey instead of black.

I have switched to Delvac 1300 15W-40 and plan to use this year round. I will sample the second interval on the Delvac 1300.

What do you think, is it all good?

I'm very impressed with Schaeffers Soyshield...!

In addition to reducing soot, it appears to have a significant impact on reducing upper cylinder and ring wear by improving the lubricity of the fuel. This is the third or fourth time I've seen a very clean analysis of a TDI that uses the Schaeffers soyshield. If I purchased bulk diesel fuel, bunker oil, or home heating oil, I'd treat it with soyshield.

I ran the Duron for 10k miles in an Audi gas engine and it sheared down to 12.8 Cst, however, engine wear was well controlled. The TDI does fine on 5w-30 and even 0w-30, CI-4 rated diesel oils, so shearing isn't an issue in this application....

A clean running, stock TDi generates very little oxidation/nitration. I've seen Oxidation < 1% and Nitration < 15% on a number of 10,000 mile change intervals.

I'd go to a 10,000 drain interval without giving it a second thought. However, if you chip this engine and/or add larger injectors, I'd retest after 5000 miles. I've seen soot levels increase by a factor of ten with both these mods ....

TS

quote:

Modifications: EGR, CCV, ventectomy, and descreened

Is that like a vesectomy?
grin.gif

[ March 04, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Oilguard tested the sample again and have confirmed the zero oxidation and nitration. Oilguard's comments: "Your oil analysis indicates that oxidation and nitration are "less than zero". This is a very common result from properly functioning engines and lubricants."

Do you think the Soyshield is responsible for reducing the ox. and nit.
confused.gif

I am not familiar with oilguards lab but 0's on the FTIR ( soot ,Nox,Oxd, ) work is suspicious. Do they outsource the lab work ?

I think the name of the lab is MTM. I saw that somewhere but now I can't find it. The oil sample is mailed to Oceanside CA. Here is a link to the site where I can log in and view all of my UOA results. I'm curious about this lab myself.

I have no reason to question the zero soot. When wiping the dipstick on a white rag the oil was grey instead of black. I have the EGR recalibrated to minimum duty(can't turn it off), and I think the Soyshield is helping reduce soot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back