iron Powerstroke..UHG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I have posted that we are using the FS by-pass in our fleet this one doesn't have it. The reason being I have been doing a comparative test with and without for extended drains.

Now the real problem, I have had numerous powerstrokes coming back with high iron levels. Two problems these Fords have.(1) Bad injector o-rings causing major fuel dilution.(2) Poor air filter box designs and elements allowing silica intrusion into the turbo air intake causing wear.

On both of these problems I had discovered these prior to any bulletin being issued by Ford and found after taking the trucks under warranty to the dealer that YEs the o-rings were on their third or fourth design, and that the filters had been changed and changed again to a complete new air box design that costs the owner 200.00 dollars and the manufacturer "Will Not cover the cost" Nice Huh? But these failures showed up easily with fuel dilution of upwards of 10% and for the filter problems high silica content and bearing metals in the scans.

Even the 6.0litre powerstrokes are experiencing fuel dilution once again from fuel rail o-ring leakage as Read about in I think Motor Age and I just sent one to the dealer last Thursday that they have yet to find.

But now the Iron problem, I have had 3-4 trucks that show higher than normal FE yet there is no silica, no fuel dilution, but some bearing metals present...How can I find the cause if I can't see the fault?

Here are the numbers,
ag..0
al..3
b..35
ba..0
ca..3889
cd..0
cr..3
cu..31 red flagged
fe..146 red flagged
soot. .7%
fuel dilut. .5
ir-nit 19
ir-ox 13
k.. 3
li.. 0
mg.. 83
mn.. 0
mo.. 3
na.. 7
ni.. 1
p.. 1059
pb.. 7 flagged
sb.. 17
si.. 13
sn.. 4
tbn.. 5.90
v100c 15.3
water zn.. 1200

It appears the turbo bearings are ready to give up in this engine. JMO
dunno.gif

Oil is Kendall SuperD3 15w40
Miles at service 6000 miles
Just looking for insight.....

Unless the engine is new and breaking in, Fe does seem high. Cu could be a oil cooler or something. Pb at 7 does not seem high.

I think you could find a better oil, as the very few Kendall UOA's I've seen don't seem all that great. I know zero about their 15W-40 but it does look like they use B and Sb as AW adds, and a decent dose of Ca.

The best advice is to hook up with Terry Dyson. He's a sponsor here and can give you the detailed scoop.

quote:

Originally posted by Fastr1:
Oil is Kendall SuperD3 15w40
Miles at service 6000 miles
Just looking for insight.....

Agree, you need to get an interpetation from Dyson Analysis. Also do you have any other analysis on this vehicle, looking for a trend.

One thing you can do is pull the intake hose to the turbo and check the impeller. Your iron and copper readings indicate turbo bearings in this engine, but this is only my opinion. And you know what that is worth.

dunno.gif

Powerstroke update......I will post the trends,and there is still iron problems showing in some of my fleet of powerstrokes while others are ok for the same intervals of drain. I have spoke with the Unocal reps.and he has contacted a lab tech from another sampling test lab. The story supposedly is that Int'l has had wear issue problems in the rocker/roller follower cam area and possible timing gear area's causing the higher than normal iron(fe) numbers. Since the PB and CU levels have not jumped with the FE nor the silica level most labs agree that the wear is not from dirt.

I am trying BG products MOA that is rich in zinc to see if the wear or iron levels drop. I will do 2000 mile interval sampling through it's 6,000 mile drain interval to see where the iron starts to climb or if it jumps right up from the start and stays there. I know that there will be residual floating around so I'm sure it will be higher than I would like from the start.

Stay tuned...............
dunno.gif

If at all possible, change to Schaeffer's 15W40 or Asoil 15W40 AME and forget the BG stuff.

Bob will ship you drums if you need and freight is free for all orders over $250.00.

I have to agree that it appears the TC bearings are taking a beating for some reason.

I am seeing the same high wear issues and in two recent tests both engines were using a bypass set up that I asked the owners to disconnect until we could isolate the issue. Seems ANY interuption in oil flow or foaming effect will exacerbate the issue on the PSD.

Why not repair the known problem on the next service intreval rather than mask it with a oil add ?

Skip the MOA overload of ZDDP and get a well formulated oil in there like the Schaeffers 7000 Blend.

Skip the Kendall if you need a local oil and consider the 76 lubes 15w-40 lines.

I tested MOA in 1997 for Amsoil and was not impressed with it. Schaeffers 132 would be a better alternative if you just have to stick with the Kendall as a fleet oil.

Man you waited me out on this one.....
grin.gif

Terry

[ May 05, 2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Is the 76 oil different from Kendall? Both are brands of ConocoPhillips, and some of the 76 and Kendall data sheets are identical.

Ken

Ken2 last I knew they were all still formulating from the original specs. That may have changed in the last 6 months since I investigated.

The oil he used was different. So much consolidation that I can't keep up and either can the tech departments.

Wait till the Chinese start dummping their lube production here
confused.gif

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back