Extending oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using UOA to try to extend tne oil change interval on my 3116 Cat. The lab I am using shows soot as ppm and most show it as percent. What is a reasonable number? Mine is in the 90ppm range on a 10,000 mi. interval. Any comments? thanks--Roger

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
Roger, this may sound silly too, but isn't 90 ppm the same as 0.009%?

Right mike, 90 ppm = 0.000 090. 0.009% = 0.000 090

Lots of the adults in my remedial math classes don't get stuff like that. (I teach it)

Hi,
Roger - sorry I didn't post my sums results in my post to you - I did the sums but forgot to put it in along with this;
Detroit ( to E1131 or LEM )limits are
1.5% non CH4 oil and,
3.0 with a CH4 oil

Using Delvac 1 I use 3.5% as my limit although ExxonMobil feel "comfortable" to about 1% higher too

The Mann-Hummel "Spinner 2" by-pass centrifuge does a great job with soot and my ELF filters have never had any soot in them at all - amazing!

Regards

Hi,
Riger - I have been through this over the last 10 years too
What oil do you use and how often are you doing a UOA ?
I use Delvac 1 in my Detroit 60's and currently get 62000 miles ( 1250 hours ) between changes. I use a Spinner 2 centrifuge as well
ExxonMobil use a % factor with UOA

Regards

You are all right--I should have just done the math. Isn't it amazing how the obvious escapes us. I did call Cat and they recommend 10,000km (6,000mi) intervals on my 3116. This seems like over kill to me. I run Rotella 15W40 and the UOA seem fine. If Doug thinks 3.5% is fine, my .09% looks good for 15000km. Thanks for the advice. Roger

Hi,
Roger - I would check what both Shell and Cat suggest for the max. soot load
Delvac 1 is extremely good at handling soot. I think that 15000km is stll a very short cycle!

I have one Detroit DDEC3 engine on "local" work and we change its Delvac 1 every 35000kms
This engine is also the only one I have without a Mann-Hummell "Spinner 2" by-pass centrifuge

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
Roger - I would check what both Shell and Cat suggest for the max. soot load
Delvac 1 is extremely good at handling soot. I think that 15000km is stll a very short cycle!

Yes, some oils are better at holding it but still Doug, youre right and saying to change it at 1.5 because a 2 is getting time to be concerned and anything near 4-5 is SEVERE conditions, and I don't care how godd any oil is, in our world today, there is not any IMO that will do better than a 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back