Mobile Delvac 1300 / 25000 ML / 500 HR / 5000 GAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to figure out how to post the scanned information so I will just type it out.

Mobile Delvac 1300 15W40 after 25,000 ML, 1000 HR, 5000 GAL Diesel.

External Temp Range -10 Deg F to 70 Deg F.

Engine Temp Range 20 Deg F to 210 Deg F.

CAT 3406E 475 BHP / 1650 Torq

240,000 ML - 265,000 ML

10 GAL Oil Capacity with 4 GAL add oil. No filter change during test.

Iron: 30
Chromium: 2
Nickel: Aluminum: 5
Lead: Copper: 24
Tin: Silver: Titanium: Silicone: 2
Boron: 29
Sodium: 2
Potassium: Molydenum: 49
Phosphorus: 1622
Zinc: 1598
Calcium: 2892
Barium: Magnesium: 450
Antimony: Vanadium:
Fuel % Vol: Fuel Soot: 0.2
Water % Vol: Vis 100* C: 13.4
SAE Grade: 40
Glyc Test: NEG

[ January 27, 2003, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I would appreciate it if someone could post some observations about what these numbers mean and how close the oil change interval seems to ideal.

Well-I'll tell you what I know. Bear in mind I'm only a hacker and don't look at a lot of Diesel.

Your oil appears to have held up very well. It appears from your numbers that the additives in the oil have lots of life left. It seems you could have gone way longer (I would think at least another 25K). Now we do not have numbers on Oxidation or nitration which give another clue on how the oil will last. But based on the viscosity and the very very low soot levels you should have no problems. Wear metal (lead) is very low and since bearings take a hammering on diesels this is a very good sign. Iron is certainly OK but not exceptional based on the large quantity of oil and the amount of makeup. We have seen iron levels higher during cold weather. At least I do. No water/antifreeze which is good. Silicon (dirt) very low-says your air filter is very good.

Copper is higher-could be from an oil cooler or possibly the thrust bearing. You probably need to trend that one.

All in all-looks very good (to me).

For more info:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm

Happy Superbowl Day!
Al

Your wear numbers are showing as extremely low for the mileage on the oil. As stated no Oxy or Nit numbers. But the oil is definetly good for continued use. I think what makes this possible is that you have essentially changed 40% of your oil during this run by adding 4 gallons of oil. At this rate you can change filters and keep adding oil, but you may want to look in to a leaking oil/useage problem.

Under the above circumstances, I think any 15W40 DRO would give you these results with your replenishment factor.

[ January 27, 2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

It goes through a gallon about every 5,000 ML this time of year (50% Idle) and 10,000 ML when idle is lower.

Considering displacement is 14.6L and it pulls 80,000 lb getting 5.5-7.5 mpg while driving depending on terrain, speed, weather and weight of load overall I don't believe oil consumption is all that high. It burns approximately 1 gallon of Diesel per hour at 1000 rpm fast idle.

As a percentage it is close to a car or pickup that gets 20 mpg and uses 1 quart every 10,000 ML. At any rate it is nowhere near the oil consumption rate CAT will warranty for high consumption.

Oil use has been constant for the last 200,000 ML.

CAT recommends 30,000 ML changes based on the amount of add oil I use, mpg, and analysis (The max they authorize). Standard interval is 15,000 ML.

Gene, here are some general guideline numbers I got from the company that samples my oil, they are applicable fora handful of Cat engines, and specifically the 3400's. For each metal the first number is what you want to be below in order for it to qualify as normal(for example Iron you want to be less than 75), the second pair of numbers is abnormal (Iron count between 75-150) and the last number represents a critical finding (Iron, anything above 150)
Hope this is helpful.

Fe Iron 150
Pb Lead 60
Cu Copper 300
Cr Chromium 20
Al Aluminum 25
Ni Nickel — — —
Ag Silver — — —
Sn Tin — — —
Na Sodium 200
Si Silicon 50
Fuel Dilution % 6