96 VW Passat TDI AMSOIL 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

Here's the latest (ok, second!) installment in the 'are my rings grinding themselves off?' saga which started here.

'96 VW Passat TDI 97520 miles
AMSOIL 15W-40 Diesel/Marine, 5743 miles on oil
Stock engine, Oilguard bypass filter, OEM full-flow, Purolator air filter
Changed bypass filter @ 97322 miles
Changed to AMSOIL 2-stage air @ 95900
Primarily two 18 mile trips per day, 60-80 mph
Used 2 quarts of oil (1 from Oilguard change)
LAB: Oilmaster Oil Analysis Dec, 2002

Just realized that I didn't change the Oilguard when I moved from Rotella T to AMSOIL...
pat.gif

code:

Rotella AMSOIL

Aluminum 9 3

Chrome 28 11

Copper 13 0

Iron 55 20

Lead 5 0

Tin 5 0

Silicon 17 0

Potassium 10 2

Sodium 3 1

Water
Oxidation 14.0 15.5

Visc@100C 14.0 14.2

Glycol 0 0

Fuel
TBN 8.2
SAE
Nitration
Soot 1.5 1.2

Ok..

Parts per mile (edit: hmmm..parts per million per mile?!)
Iron .0061 .0035
Chrome .0031 .0019

It looks like ring wear has dropped a bit. I've still got compression, so there must be some rings left.
wink.gif

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Andy

[ December 23, 2002, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Andy H ]

The silicon number sure looks better. I wonder it has anything to do with the lower wear metals?

Ok... To add insult to injury...

I took the two samples differently. The first was mid-stream from the oil drain within about 5 minutes of shutting the engine down. The second was with the engine running, and was collected from the intake hose of the bypass filter.

For what it's worth...
Andy

Yea better numbers. Maybe silicon as was partially responsible. But look at the TBN for Amsoil
shocked.gif

[ December 23, 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Andy H

running a controlled test isn't easy.

new air filter, changing collection procedure, potential lab error (TBN is your case)...

You need a lot more than $25 per test to get it right.

But in any event, your engine looks to be OK without any major problems on the horizon. So be happy.

Al, Yeah, this oil's dead. I'll do a flush and switch to the Series 3000 5W-30 tomorrow. I *think* the problem is that I left about a quart of Rotella in when I failed to change the bypass filter with the change to the AMSOIL. This is the first run with AMSOIL in this engine.

I was surprised to see water in the oil, tho - especially with the Oilguard.

I also used two cans of LubroMoly diesel purge for the fuel system this oil period. I don't have any idea if that could have shortened the life of the oil.

Andy

Hi Satterfi,

I didn't intend a controlled test, but now have two oil samples in a row and am learning each time.
smile.gif

FWIW, these two tests were 'free' from Oilmaster - they came with the bypass filters.

I feel better about the engine, that's for sure. I really didn't want to tear into it for Christmas.

Speaking of which -- Merry Christmas All!

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back