What's needed to install factory remote start on 06 uplander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi JetSnake, I've installed a couple of remote start systems from Bulldogsecurity.com, I think they offer some plug up systems, it not they have all the good features, cheap, easy, with plenty of easy to understand instructions, hey if I can do it must be easy.

I may be wrong here, but from the remote start system description in the service manual, the only thing you may need is the proper key fob. Remote start is built into the body control module and uses the same antenna and whatnot as the keyless entry system. Worst case, you'd have to replace or reprogram the BCM to enable remote start, then buy the right key fobs. I'd speak to the dealer about this.

I've been installing these for 15 years and this one does not look fun. I haven't done one of these yet, here is some tech info on the vehicle. It is a copy and paste so the data might be out of order:

12volts
red or red/black
+
battery or fuse box

Starter yellow + ign harness or BCM, C1, pin 21
Second Starter N/A
Ignition pink + ign harness or BCM, C1, pin 22
Second Ignition N/A
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory brown + ign harness or BCM, C1, pin 23
Second Accessory N/A
Keysense lt. green - ign harness or BCM, C1, pin 40
Power Lock orange/black or pink/black - BCM, C2, pin 2
Power Unlock orange/black - BCM, C2, pin 11
Lock Motor gray 5wi BCM, C2, pin 52
Unlock Motor tan 5wi BCM, C2, pin 46
Parking Lights+ brown + fuse box or pass kick, harn. to rear
Parking Lights- brown/white - switch or BCM, C3, pin 8
Hazards tan - switch or BCM, C3, pin 16
Turn Signal(L) lt. blue/white (F), yellow (R) + BCM, C1, pin 41 and C2, pin 43
Turn Signal(R) dk. blu/wht (F), dk. green (R) + BCM, C1, pin 42 and C2, pin 48
Reverse Light lt. green + BCM, C2, pin 42
Door Trigger see notes - BCM, C2
Dome Supervision gray/black + BCM, C1, pin 43
Trunk/Hatch Pin dk. green - BCM, C2, pin 3
Hood Pin pink/black - pin switch or BCM, C1, pin 26
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A
Power Sliding Door lt blue/black (L), lt blue (R) - pass. side B pillar, blk 23 pin plug
Factory Alarm Arm arms on lock with door open
Factory Alarm Disarm purple - BCM, C2, pin 24
Disarm No Unlock with ignition and Passkey
Tachometer NOT pink ac any fuel injector
Wait to start N/A
Brake Wire white + BCM, C2, pin 30
Parking Brake lt. blue - switch or BCM, C2, pin 9
Horn Trigger tan - switch or BCM, C1, pin 4
Memory Seat 1 white - memory module under seat, gray plug
Memory Seat 2 purple - memory module under seat, gray plug
Memory Seat 3 N/A -

Interface Modules
Smart Starter Kill Relays

Vehicle has PassKey III so you would need a security interface module and possibly an extra key to make it work. If you haven't installed one of these before I would definately take it to a shop.

-Joe

[ September 05, 2006, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: iceberg ]

I just noticed you said a factory remote start. Disreguard my last post. I do not know if the dealer sells the factory remote start by itself. You could have a aftermarket one installed with no problems.

[ September 05, 2006, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: iceberg ]

The dealer said they can install it for about $400. I think I can do it myself and not have to spend as much. If all I have to do is buy new key fobs, that would be great. The salesmen said the van has to have some option like electric window or keyless entry, which it does. So, he said there aftermarket guys can put it in, it can be done to this vehicle.

Wife just got a 06 Uplander, looking at putting in a factory remote start. I'm thinking it should just plug into the factory harness some place. Is this how it works and what all is needed???

You should be able to get an aftermarket one with a lifetime warranty for about $200-$250 installed w/ keyless entry. The product (costs) $68 for the unit and $29 for the security bypass. So a shop would have $100-$150 profit. You can find them advertised all the time for $99, but then they want to upgrade the unit and security bypasses are additional etc etc... Look for a product called DEI or directed electronics "Valet" is the line 562 is the model. They are the best I have ever installed. I have seen dealers install them and they are code alarm products, the same that I used to put in. If you get one from the dealer for $400 make sure that it is the same as if you ordered it from the factory, for example its inside the BCM. Ask to see it, make sure it has pigtails that are plug in without cutting wires otherwise it will just be an aftermarket product that a dealer tech has to install that does not do that kind of work everyday. You'd be better off taking it to a stereo shop in that case. Look for an installer that is MECP certified.

Aftermarket components do not reprogram the BCM they integrate with it. You would have to ask the dealer for more info on how they go about adding a remote start.

Alright, I called the dealer, they want $350 to inable the factory remote start that is already in the uplander. That price covers reprograming the BCM and two key fobs. Does this sound high to anyone else?

Sounds high for what little he's going to do.
A quality aftermarket remote start would cost about that much, and probably work better or over a longer distance.
Hobson's choice.

Yes it's high, but remote start adds a lot of value to a car. Especially when it's a factory part that's not going to cause any warranty trouble. Why do I need a lifetime warranty on a $70 unit if it's got the potential to void the warranty on the car's $1500 BCM?

I was looking at the directions for one of these things, and they recommend NOT using those 3M crimp connectors for pigtailing. Why would that be? Those seem awfully solid. More solid than their recommended twisting the wires together, it would seem. Does anyone have experience with this?

Quote:

..I was looking at the directions for one of these things, and they recommend NOT using those 3M crimp connectors for pigtailing. Why would that be?

They all give that recommendation. Only thing I can figure having installed one myself is, the vehicles ignition wiring is bundled fairly tightly. A crimp connector could rub against another wire and cut it's insulation. I personally would not install or have installed an aftermarket unit if the vehicles warranty is important to you. Especially on BCM equipped vehciles.

Joel

Installing a aftermarket remote start in NO WAY will void your factory warranty. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has more info about adding aftermarket components. The best connection is soldering I'm sure if you ask a competent shop they would solder them for you (most shops do not by default due to the possibility of burning a seat with the soldering iron). In my past experience no car buyer cares who put in a car starter just that you hit the button and it starts. "Hey, wow thats cool". I'm sure with a little haggling you could get a shop to do remote start only for $150 so you have to ask yourself if it's worth the extra $200 for the dealer to do it. Either way a warm car in the morning is all that really matters. I lasted 2 days before I installed mine in my new to me 2000 jimmy. Once you have one of these you can't go without.

Quote:

Installing a aftermarket remote start in NO WAY will void your factory warranty....

Oh yeah? Slap one in your new vehicle and take it in for an electrical issue (gawd forbid you have one) that is even remotely related to the RS system or install. See how that goes for you. I guarantee you it wont be pretty or easy. I'm familiar with the MMA.

Joel

Depends on the dealership and how competent the tech is working on whatever is wrong. I bought a new 99 dodge ram and put my starter in right after I bought it. It had some problems and every time I brought it in I told them it had a remote start/alarm on it, never an issue. On the flipside, I can't count how many times a dealership blamed problems on a remote start just because it was on the car. What I do in that case is offer to temporarily remove the remote start and the customer takes it back to the dealership and they actually fix the problem (whatever it may be) then the customer comes back and I will re-install it for them. (You can just unplug the brain box for most remote starts)

I can see your point but technically it does not void the warranty. If you get a bad/lazy tech working on your vehicle that guesses "oh, there's one of them remote starts, that must be causing the problem." Everytime I have taken out the remote start the problem whatever it may have been was still there and the dealer ended up fixing it and bitting their tongue because the remote start was not the problem.

No, you're right, it won't void the entire warranty. But it can cause troubles, and if the aftermarket unit fails and shorts something out, that's certainly not covered by either warranty. For the difference of a hundred or two, it would be worth it to me for the peace of mind.

Agreed, if the unit shorts out and the dealer can prove it. The worst I have seen happen is when a remote start looses the ability to read a tach/RPM signal and the starter engages while the car is running. In most cases the customer will bring it right in and get the brain swapped out, but there is the person that will just keep on using it till it fries the starter. I have seen this a few times over the years. Our shop paid to have the starter replaced and a new brain was swapped in and never did it again. No wiring was changed. So yes they can go bad. I have never seen one fry out a BCM or anything like that unless the installer hooked up something wrong during the installation and fried something out. Never have I had one come back that a dealership said the remote start fried the BCM or other electronic module.
Could it happen? Sure but I have never seen it.

Over the years I have seen some serious hack installs with bare wires components dangling down. A few times I thought some wiring jobs were birds nests under the dash they were so bad. When I see work like this I remove everything and start from scratch. Best thing to do if you want to go aftermarket is to go to a reputable shop that has been in business for a long time and ask how long the installer has been doing this kind of work. Also don't be afraid to look under the steering wheel and see what kind of work was done and if it looks professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back