CV boot conditioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've a '97 Max and the boots look perfect no sign of cracking whatsoever. I'd say just leave well enough alone. The polymer used is designed to oxidize on the exterior which forms a protective coat much like a certain steel which rusts some then stops. The real polymer killer is UV radiation which they don't get.

If you use a protectant on the boots you never get that outer film and over time with repeated applications the boot will wear out quicker.

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
The polymer used is designed to oxidize on the exterior which forms a protective coat much like a certain steel which rusts some then stops.

Can we have more info on this process, please?

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all rubber and plastic, including CV boots and suspension parts.

Don't lift it. Keep the stock angles to prevent more rubbing than designed. Other than that leave them alone. Wash them with soap and water if they get coatrewd in mud. Do not use any "protectant".

2nd that. Keep em clean, and then leave em alone unless they get a tear or a split. (In which case replace them ASAP.)

^^^Has always worked for me at least!

Protectant? Nah. Just a twice-yearly spray-down with a cheap non-staining silicone spray like Pyrol (made by Valvoline) is all you need.

I do mine at every oil change (about three times a year) and have for more than 23 years, first starting on a Honda Civic back in '83.

Never a crack, crease or tear.

Same here IVM. I spray them down every oil change with silicone spray. It's more of a good visual inspection time if anything. If you want to get really carried away you could give them a good rub-down with silicone grease. I doubt any of this is needed. Like the other fellers say for max boot life:
1) No suspension lifts
2) No direct sunlight
3) Keep debris away from them

G/luck
Joel

I don't think it even matters much if you clean them. On the Cavalier (all of them from 1984 to the 2002 I have owned) oil from the filter drips on the boot while changing the oil and even then I haven't had any boots fail.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
The polymer used is designed to oxidize on the exterior which forms a protective coat much like a certain steel which rusts some then stops.

Can we have more info on this process, please?

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all rubber and plastic, including CV boots and suspension parts.

Polymer + O2 -> Polymer Oxide

I use STP Son of a Gun protectant,works out well,my vehicle is used extensively for 4WD and my boots last around 8 to 9 years.

I’ve got a 1987 Jetta (124,000Km) that has sat outside for it’s entire 19 years -- since I bought it new. Every oil change (~ once/year), I spray the boots down with Armor All/Balck Magic protectant. The boots are still looking good (although one of the CV boots that has a nice bend in it near the engine and had to be replaced after about 10 years due to "some" cracking).

Well then, I agree; they, the CV boots need no service other than mud removal and inspection every 6 months.
They are made from polyurethane, I believe, and many do last the life of the car(12 to 15 years).
The much earlier ones were rubber and cracked open between 3 to 5 years.
I made a living changing them...

the toy boots are good quality. I sold my last old toy (86 4Runner) to my nephew with the stock boots and they are in great shape. with little maint at that. i've had allot of the old toys and never had any boot failures or tears. just quickly spray them down with a hose or light pressure washer. you'll wreck or sell your truck before they go bad.

While I must say that no 2 CV boot supplier/manufacturer are created equal (material quality-wise), IMHO they should typically lasts an easy, comfortable 3~15 years typical.

Japanese cars mostly uses NTN boots which, IMHO, are far better in terms of polymer quality than, say, EMPI or some other aftermarket suppliers.

My B6 boots didn't require servicing for 13 straight years (or equiates to 155kkms), and it's NTN. On the flip side, my friend's US assembled Sentra boot failed every 4 yrs and replaced (twice already) using EMPI.

The 2 main factors that caused CV boots to deterioriate are (a) mineral oils in CV joint grease (b) heat.

If you don't believe me, try dabbing a new, fresh CV boot with the moly CV grease, leave it for 20 mins and then wipe it off and see what happens. You shall see a blotch left behind with localised swellings and that just shows you why/what's going on when CV boot polymerised material (rubber-like, but made by some other elastomers) comes into contact with oil-based chemicals.

The other factor to the longevity of a CV boot will be the service duty of your vehicle. E.g. if your vehicle does a lot of towing, heavy loads, etc. where it would generate a lot of heat, your CV boot will deterioriate sooner for the boot, with the joint assembly itself, has to find ways to dissipate the heat generated when the joint is in service. This heat will gradually deterioriates your boot over time.

hard to say ex_MGB, it could be inside out(most likely) but then again, cosmetically, it looks as if by the time the boot is due for a change, the outside may already developed crack/cracks as well...no matter how "superficial" they may look..

Later.

Both boots on my wife's 96 Camry split after 6 years. Never treated them with anything. Hope the boots on her 02 Highlander and my 05 Taco hold up longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back