Want to lube my antenna + sunroof tracks-- silicone spray or White Lithium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the segments of the antenna on my 1989 BMW 325is will occasionally get stuck. The antenna is the kind that telescopes. Sometimes when it retracts, the final segment gets stuck. Also, the sunroof tracks on this car need some greasing up.

I went to Kragen and saw some sort of silicone spray as well as "White Lithium" lube. Both are aerosol-based, and the labels on both basically say the same thing. I assume that both will do the job, but I'm worried that dirt and dust will be attracted to the stuff. Which one will minimize this? Thanks.

Silicon spray is a "dry" lube, and will not attract dirt and dust, so I would use that on your antenna. Lithium is "wet." The next time you're in the store, spray a little bit of them both in the caps, and you'll see their consistencies.

Also, this topic might've gotten better response in the Grease forum.

cheers.gif

Agree with andyf on the antenna but I would not use the silicone on the sunroof tracks. I would use a white lithium grease, but not from a spray can. Go to a parts store and get a tube of white lithium grease (will last you 14 lifetimes), use a q-tip to apply it to the rails (very thinly). I've been using this for years on my sunroof tracks.

If that's an OEM antenna, it's likely a Hirschmann. Hirschmann sells antenna grease and also disposable antenna wipes.

Would you also recommed the white lithium grease on minivan door sliders too? I should probably get around to greasing those as soon as I wash off the sand and salt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back