best plugs for 3800-II V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
(FWIW consider checking http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004066 ) but there are so many topics and sub-topics, I wanted this one to be seperate. The engine was swapped about 2, maybe 2.5 or 3 years ago, I have no clue what came over from the "old engine" to the new. The serpentine belt looks a lot older than 2. The oil pan has a fluid sensor from the Bonneville engine, moved over to the Buick engine that replaced it, months or more since I ever even knew the car was for sale.
Anyway, it's a 1996 and maybe the plug-wires should be replaced. The plugs will be looked at and I believe they are plain AC-Delco's that are over 2 years old, might as well change them. Then, like I said, the wires. Maybe the coil. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
I did some reading over 2 years ago and a few people (on boards but not this one) suggested Denso Iridiums were the best around (for under $30 a piece). My mechanic and his fellow-mechanic friend tried them and had horrid side-effects: Hard starting, no starting, lousy gas mileage and having to replace a coil...they figure the plugs take a higher voltage and do as advertised but these are the draw-backs. So I am wondering if I should get Denso Iridiums (which I was told I could by at a local GM dealer... Denso & GM have some sort of relationship going on, I am told)
Then, should I get new wires? Any specific brand, core material or thickness, or shielding? And, should I get a new coil; and if so, what do I look for in one? Will I ever know the difference between GM replacement wires and a $150 set?
Is a new coil going to be necessary?
I like overkill and having some components that are of needlessly high quality. This is one of those cases
smile.gif

THANKS
Rob

If you are going to go iridiums, save yourself some money and get NGK iridiums, they are significantly less in cost than Densos. I got 4 iridium IX plugs for my civic for about $28+$3 shipping. They are working very well for my car, it pulls better and revs smoother, has a bit more pep. But I also changed the wires, cap and rotor at the same time as well.

As far as wires go, get ones that have good crimps on them, i hate it when the wire becomes useless b/c of a bad crimp and it pulls apart. I like Bosch wires they seem well built, but on my honda i use NGK wires.

And for the coil, the stock one would be fine or an acdelco equivalent, maybe MSD even makes a coil kit for your car? But replacing it on a nearly 10 year old car is not a bad idea. Think about it this way, if your other components were weak, than that is that much harder that the coil has to work to make up for inefficiencies in the wires or plugs.

I second the NGK iridiums. I have them in my GMH 96 3800. Plus I would change the leads. Not sure if yours using the same coils packs as mine, but these seem to work fine or not at all, so changing them may gain nothing. The iridiums use less voltage so will stress the coils less.

I agree. NGK Iridiums do very well in a GM 3800.
Whatever you do don't use Bosch Platinums!!

Use AC Delco wires.

02 sensors? Plural? You are suggesting that the O2 sensors should be changed as a matter of course? Not just tested but replaced? And did you mean sensor (singular) or sensors (plural) ??
I'll have a look at the cost difference but I am leaning toward the NGK plugs. And since I like a bit of overkill I would prefer something (proven) better than AC Delco wires. Or are you (Davefr and Jim Spahr) suggesting that Bosch or NGK wires would be not really any better; just flash, hype, advertising, glitzy box, awesome color on the jacket, etc?
Thanks!
Rob

Replace the plugs and wires ONLY if you are having problems. All the ignition system is made to last a long time. Depending on the year, you have Platnium or Iridium plugs and they are good for a lot of miles. O2 sensors should also be good for long time. If it's not broke don't fix it.

-T

RE: O2 sensors- I was saying when it comes time to replace them use GM ( only when they are a problem replace them). Some replace them at a given no. of miles as maintenance, but that is over kill in my book. My car has 2 O2 sensors, so that's why I used plural. You may have only one. RE: spark plugs- I think the best value for the money is AC Delco s/p for both performance and longevity.

Those plain old AC-Delco plugs are actually very good plugs. Nothing wrong with simply replacing with new ones. Same goes for the stock GM wires as well.

I think that in many cases, when I hear how great those new high $$ plugs/wires were, they were compared with the old crappy worn out stuff that was on there before. I have not had a problem using OEM parts or have really seen any real difference from using those parts vs higher cost parts on a daily driver.

Re: the AC Delco spark plug wires. Some on the Impala SS list say they are manuf. by Packard and so if you can find the Packard brand, buy them and save $ and you will get the same AC Delco fit and quality. Packard is not a common brand and therefore nto easy to find.

Packard makes the plugs, but I doubt you will find them cheaper from Packard and they may not be the same.

Rockauto.com has the cheapest prices on AC-delco wires that I've found. I ordered them for $37 WITH shipping.

Remember I am in Canada
canada.gif

The car is in overnight, I have no loaner or rental. They got to it 5 hours after appointment time, not that that makes me mad or anything, and I have 2 or 3 leaks in the trans axle rings (they told me but I forgot) so plugs and wires will most likely be delayed....maybe long enough to have the parts I want brought in, or a month to think about my Christmas present to myself
wink.gif

Thanks again!
Rob

Stick with AC Delco platinum plugs and AC wires, unless cost is a serious issue and your plugs and wires are absolutely shot. I wouldn't replace the coils until you need to, and the factory coils are great. You won't get anything out of performance coils anyway, if you don't do anything else to the ignition system. That's one of those last-things-considered when building up a modern 3800, regardless. You won't get much out of it until you're really pushing the limits of the stock system, which is really generous to begin with.

It is rare I am able to please so many people at once. I bought ACDelco from a local GM / Pontiac dealer. I opened one up, it says "NGK Japan" on the metal part that is above the screw threads but below the nut landings. They are Iridium.
Part number appears to be 41-101. If you want / need more info, let me know.
Thanks again everyone
Rob

I installed AC Delco Iridiums ($3/ea autozone made by NGK) in mine and love them.

Anything but Bosch will be fine. I recommend delco plugs or NGKs.

Dominic, if it wasn't for you being in The City of Brotherly Love, I'd be really steamed at you. You bought the same part for $3 a piece! Mine were $16 a piece
mad.gif
pat.gif
nono.gif

(part number is also called 1256 8357, I think that's within the GM / Pontiac network)
I know mine were Canadian dollars but the Canadian dollar is at or near a 13-year high against the US dollar. Anyway, I can not wait a week to have these purchased elsewhere.

offtopic.gif
or new topic: WIRES. Wise to have them replaced at this time? They are a bare minimum 2 years old; or for all I know from 1995 when the car was built as a 1996. The ones at Part Source, made by Niehoff? I am told Accell is inferior, is that correct? I exceed 4000 rpm about 15 seconds a month, and that's March through October if the roads are quite dry. What brands should I look for; Taylor? Bosch? NGK? Beldin? MSD? Stock switch with plain GM wires? Which brands should I avoid?

I'm regularly emailing the mechanic, about how much the scope and mission should be allowed to creep in the "while you're in there anyway" deal. Serpentine belt looks like it's from 1996. Intake manifold plenum gasket is going to get done. I'm happy to do the PS fluid at the drop of a hat.
If you have ideas, please speak up ASAP.

I rear-ended a flat-bed tow truck. If I stopped 6" shorter it would be a non-issue. Passenger side headlight smashed but not completely inoperative, and pushed back the logo'd part of the (centre) grille about an inch. Is this sort of damage (and moreso the potential damage done in the foot or so behind that) best done at a GM dealership or is it pretty easy and straight-forward for any old body shop to do?
THANKS!
Rob The Oil Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back