Tips for reading dipstick? Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a better way to read the style of dipsticks on some Nissans (see pics)? I have two (both VG blocks), both with this style dipstick. I've changed oil on thousands of cars, and this is the only style I have trouble reading, especially on my own, I guess since it's usually clean. Letting it sit overnight first doesn't help. Is it possible to find a different style dipstick that would fit?

Sorry, pics would have been better with someone to hold the dipstick in the right way and if I could have gotten the camera to focus better.

That's the same type of dipstick I have on my 300ZX and they're a PITA to read (although the one on my Subaru isn't much better). Whoever engineered it should be
twak.gif

I like to take a paper towel and lay it out flat. Pull the dipstick and lay it down on the white paper towel. It gives a pretty good reading.

Sometimes my 300ZX will show oil on 1 side of the dipstick and nothing on the other side. I assume since the cable is so flexible it's riding on top of the surface tension of the oil. So on occasion I have to spin it around then pull it out to get an accurate reading.

The dipstick in the Subaru is a dark color. Seeing how much oil is on it is nearly impossible when the oil gets to be a certain color. Sheesh...designers!
itschy.gif

Yeah I always look on all 4 sides, which only confuses me even more, since they all seem to disagree.
smile.gif

They don't seem to realize that the flat slick style are the easiest to read vs. these square hatched ones.

One of mine is a 300ZX.

The dipstick for the auto on both cars is hard to read, as is checking the crankcase with fresh oil. It seems easier if you wipe the dipstick not only clean, but dry, and use bright light to read it.

The dipstick on my f150 is like that and I never had any trouble reading it. I just wipe it dry and angle it towards the sun and I get a pretty good view.

I think that Nissan engineers have a secret competition to design the hardest to read dipsticks.

My Nissan has the twisted sheet dipstick with a cut out section, and it routinely reads 2" over full.

quote:

The dipstick for the auto on both cars is hard to read,

I'm sorry, what?

quote:

as is checking the crankcase with fresh oil. It seems easier if you wipe the dipstick not only clean, but dry, and use bright light to read it.

That isn't fresh oil.
Are you saying wipe it clean and not re-insert into crankcase first?

I read of one trick somebody uses on flat dipsticks, where they drill small holes along the length in the gauge region. The surface tension of the oil would fill the holes and show the level of the oil.

Automatic transmissions typically have dipsticks, and I find them typically hard to read. When you wipe the dipstick wipe it until it is dry. If you don't know what 'dry' is carefully clean the dipstick three times, each time with a fresh paper towel. Thne check the fluid level normally. The fluid level will be easier to see on the dry dipstick. After you see what you're trying to accomplish you can clean however you want, as you're now a journeyman dipsticker :^)

Luckily, I only have to read dipstics about 3 time a year. Christmas, New Years Eve, 4th of July. It really is hard trying to figure out what the in-laws are all about!
grin.gif

On a serious note, I find the dipstick on my wife's 3.5l Nissan engine DANGEROUS! It is practally part of the oil fill protion of the head. There is a BIG YELLOW caution note on it, warning not to add oil with the diptick removed, otherwise oil will pour out of it * down the front (side) of the engine! During oil changes, you have to wait 10 minutes for all the fresh oil to drain off the dipstick. Real annoying.

Drilling very small holes or "notching" it can make it easier to read. Which reminds me that I have to do it to my '97 Maxima's sometime, too. And mine is the flat sheet type, but clean oil is still ridiculously hard to read. And I also get different readings depending on which side of the dipstick I check.

Willy_G, my 3.0 Nissan VQ30 has the same warning. Somehow I have never managed to leave the dipstick out while changing the oil. And yeah, waiting for the oil to drain OFF the dipstick to get an accurate reading is more than annoying. So I now just drain for an hour, change filter, and dump in 4 qts. I check the level later.

Dave

I have a VG33 and agree the dipstick designer should be shot.

Only accurate readings I can get are in the morning, on the FIRST pull, read immediately. Do not wipe and reinsert to read because each side will show a different level.

any other time, forget it, every pull gives different result on each side.

dumb design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back